/Server/Linux Template
joanypony
2012-09-14 10:03:17 UTC
joanypony [http://community.zenoss.org/people/joanypony] created the discussion

"/Server/Linux Template"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68568#68568

Hi All,

I like the default Linux monitoring that you get when you put a device into /Server/Linux. My issue is I may have to build a Zenoss machine that will have devices not in that folder, but that need those checks.

How can I apply the checks from that template to devices not in that folder?

This question also applies when the /Linux folder has been deleted. Is there any way to get those templates back? I'm using 3.2.1 on SL 6.1

Thank you,
Joan

dhopp
2012-09-14 10:30:26 UTC
dhopp [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dhopp] created the discussion

"Re: /Server/Linux Template"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68570#68570

If you need to create a new device class but want the default SNMP template that is in /Server/Linux you can override the Device template there.

To do that click Advanced->Monitoring Templates.  Find the "Device" and find the one that is at /Server/Linux and higlight it. Then in the bottom left there is a gear menu, click that and choose "Override Template" (in V4 I think it's "Copy template").  Choose the new Device Class and you are done.  That will get the SNMP monitoring.  If you want all of the modeling that happens then you need to match the Modeler Plugins from /Server/Linux (Click the blue details button when in the Infrastrucure view) to the new Device Class

Now what would probably be better is to create a new sub device class under /Server/Linux (/Server/Linux/Web Server or /Server/Linux/ATM).  That way the new device class automatically in herits the settings of /Server/Linux and then you can apply the custom templates to that Device Class.

To get the /Server/Linux class and template back you would need to reinstall the "Linux Monitor" zenpack.

--Dennis

joanypony
2012-09-14 10:52:50 UTC
joanypony [http://community.zenoss.org/people/joanypony] created the discussion

"Re: /Server/Linux Template"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68555#68555

Hi Dennis,

Thank you, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I changed the target within
the advanced section and that worked. Do you know why it's not possible to
have /Devices as a target? Otherwise if I have two directories both
directly under /devices, I can only bind  /devices/linux to one of them. (I
think)

The reason I'm doing all this is that I know the end user of this system
will want the majority of their folders to be directly under /devices or
they'll only want to drill down max 2 levels.

Also, the zenpack for Linux monitor is not the same - it's linux checks via
SSH as far as I know.. I'm currently working on just copying out the
default Linux SNMP into a zenpack which will help anyone that happens to
delete it by accident :)

Thanks,
Joan

dhopp
2012-09-14 13:22:50 UTC
dhopp [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dhopp] created the discussion

"Re: /Server/Linux Template"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68557#68557

You can copy the template as many times as you want to different device classes.  You don't want the Linux Device template to be at /Devices because that is the root of the tree and would affect all devices underneath by default.  You want a Linux Device template to only affect linux devices so you want to have it at those Device Classes.

You are correct that the Linux Monitor ZenPack is ssh monitoring only.  I was going off the top of my head, sorry about that.

--Dennis

joanypony
2012-09-14 13:47:12 UTC
joanypony [http://community.zenoss.org/people/joanypony] created the discussion

"Re: /Server/Linux Template"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68576#68576

Also, if anyone wants the Zenpack version of the original Zenoss Linux SNMP template, I've attached it. I mostly see it being useful for anyone that has deleted their /server/linux folder.

Regards,
Joan