Zenoss 4.20/4.2.3 zensnpp missing
Walt Wyndroski
2013-01-17 16:14:01 UTC
Walt Wyndroski [http://community.zenoss.org/people/wdwrnjabba] created the discussion

"Zenoss 4.20/4.2.3 zensnpp missing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71068#71068

Since Zenoss Core version 2.x.x to now (4.2.3) on Linux, I've been using zensnpp and sendpage to send critical alerts to a group of pagers. I upgraded to Zenoss 4.2.3 last night. During my post-upgrade testing/verification, I found sending test pages failed. I verified that sendpage was up and running and that I also could send pages manually from the command line. Upon further investigation, I found the utility zensnpp was no longer present. I've Google'ed for hours and can find nothing. The updated Zenoss documentation still references zensnpp being found in $ZENHOME/bin/zensnpp.

Has zensnpp been moved to a zenpack that I need to install? Or are there any other ideas?

I'm currently running RHEL5 x86_64 with Zenoss 4.2.3.

Thanks

jcurry
2013-01-21 11:01:44 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.20/4.2.3 zensnpp missing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71118#71118

You are right!  I had missed that.  I don't have it either.

I believe it was a standalone program so you could try just grabbing the program from an earlier version - but I cerainly think it is a bug to leave it in the paging settings, leave it in the documentation, but omit to ship the code!

Have you reported it on Jira?

Cheers,
Jane

Walt Wyndroski
2013-01-21 12:59:02 UTC
Walt Wyndroski [http://community.zenoss.org/people/wdwrnjabba] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.20/4.2.3 zensnpp missing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71103#71103

I tried grabbing a previous zensnpp from zenoss-core v3.1.0 and it didn'tw work. I have not reported it on Jira. I was hoping that it was something that I was just overlooking.

jcurry
2013-01-21 14:38:46 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.20/4.2.3 zensnpp missing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71120#71120

Reported this as http://jira.zenoss.com/jira/browse/ZEN-5059 http://jira.zenoss.com/jira/browse/ZEN-5059 .
Cheers,
Jane

Matt Maloney
2013-01-22 23:00:00 UTC
Matt Maloney [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mmaloney%40zenoss.com] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.20/4.2.3 zensnpp missing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71160#71160

We removed the package in 4.2 as it was a 3rd party dependency but it should still function as stated in the documentation.

As you know, the zensnpp is a simple python script which leverages the python-snpp package. The python package is available here: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/python-snpp http://pypi.python.org/pypi/python-snpp

If you install the python package and then re-run the zensnpp python script, it should work.

Please let me know how you go.

Thanks,

Walt Wyndroski
2013-01-22 23:40:16 UTC
Walt Wyndroski [http://community.zenoss.org/people/wdwrnjabba] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.20/4.2.3 zensnpp missing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71161#71161

That did it! However, I had to Google to find out that I had to
rename python_snpp-1.1.2-py2.6.egg to python_snpp-1.1.2-py2.7.egg to get
'zenpack --install' to work as Zenoss 4.x only installs python eggs with
py2.7 in the name.

Further, I had to reinstall Zenoss 3.x to get the zensnpp python script as
it is not installed at with Zenoss 4.x (at least not that I could find).
After I put all of that in place, I was able to get Zenoss to successfully
send a test page.

I did not know/realize that the snpp files were third-party to Zenoss and
removed. I did not see this change in the 4.2.0 release notes though I may
have missed it.

Thanks so much for pointing in the right direction! And many thanks for
such a great Open Source product!

Walt

Walt Wyndroski, RN
IT Manager
Plant TiftNet
Plant Telecommunications
Office 229.238.3755 ext 105
Mobile 229.520.1859
mailto:***@friendlycity.net ***@friendlycity.net

Matt Maloney
2013-01-23 17:36:10 UTC
Matt Maloney [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mmaloney%40zenoss.com] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.20/4.2.3 zensnpp missing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71165#71165

Glad to be able to help and nice work on the solution!

Thanks for the update.

Matt