Power Supply Issue
Randy Devone
2011-10-25 18:59:08 UTC
Randy Devone [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rdevone] created the discussion

"Power Supply Issue"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62156#62156

I am seeing an issue where as the Dell server has dual power supplies, we pull the power from one of the power supplies and the power supply graph shows the power supply down, but monitoring does not show 'down', it shows 'up' and no alerts are received. Monitoring shows 'true' like it is monitoring the PS.

When I model the server, it just removes the power supply out of the list.  When power is restored, it adds the power supply back, but no alerts are received.

I am using Dell Monitor 2.7 by Egor

Using Centos 5.7 x64
Zenoss 3.2.1

This is a critical issue because this is monitoring our datacenter overseas.

Thanks for all your help.

Randy Devone
2011-10-25 19:27:34 UTC
Randy Devone [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rdevone] created the discussion

"Re: Power Supply Issue"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62159#62159

I figured it out.  I needed to configure a SNMP trap on the server.

Thanks

Kilmomo
2011-10-27 15:04:50 UTC
Kilmomo [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Kilmomo] created the discussion

"Re: Power Supply Issue"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62225#62225

I have same problem with temperature ,only trap snmp  send by Openmanage works ,Dell monitor into Zenoss stay with Normal state  .

Regards

Kilmomo

Randy Devone
2011-10-27 18:42:48 UTC
Randy Devone [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rdevone] created the discussion

"Re: Power Supply Issue"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62242#62242

I wonder is anyone else has this issue.  The other problem is when the event is resolved, since it came from the trap it does not clear the event in Zenoss.

I love the zenpack because it monitors all the stuff I want, but it is almost unusable if it can't alert on issues.

Can anyone help with this issue.  I cannot convince managemet to buy Zenoss Enterprise because it is expensive and this type of issue does not help my case.

Thanks

2011-10-27 19:38:02 UTC

"Re: Power Supply Issue"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62245#62245

Sorry, we've been quite busy at the ZCA, so this has fallen behind. So your issue is that the SNMP agent on the Dell isn't sending a clear trap? Or that you want to set up a perf check for if a PSU is available?

If the latter, you might want to consider a command datasource, and see if there's a CLI method to access the PSU status on the Dell... Then look into SSH for running the command. . .

Information Technology Area Supervisor

Randy Devone
2011-10-27 19:46:40 UTC
Randy Devone [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rdevone] created the discussion

"Re: Power Supply Issue"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62262#62262

Thanks James;
The server does send the event that the down power supply is now up, and zenoss receives it, but it does not clear the alert in Zenoss.

I would rather use the DellMon zenpack instead of the traps, but the zenpack shows that the PS is being monitored and the status as up.  When I pull the power the status still shows up.  When I model the server, it just removes the down ps and does not alert.

This is a major issue.  I was hope egor could respond since he is the creator.

Thanks

2011-10-27 19:49:44 UTC

"Re: Power Supply Issue"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62263#62263

It's simple to use eventclearclasses to set the CLEAR severity event from the PSU trap (may need to map that event to set the severity etc) so it clears the other event. I'm not sure if the DellMon pack is supposed to do that for PSUs or not. I'll Ping Egor.

Randy Devone
2011-10-27 19:59:07 UTC
Randy Devone [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rdevone] created the discussion

"Re: Power Supply Issue"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62265#62265

Thanks for the response.

I created a event class to drop the PSU trap when back up.  It still does not remove the event in Zenoss.  I just tried it again and the alert still exists in Zenoss.

2011-10-27 20:16:31 UTC

"Re: Power Supply Issue"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62267#62267

So what you really want to happen is the trap from the PSU going down should map to an event class with a severity of, say, error. Then the PSU up trap should map to the same event class with a severity of clear. Then clear all existing events, and test.

Randy Devone
2011-10-27 20:19:46 UTC
Randy Devone [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rdevone] created the discussion

"Re: Power Supply Issue"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62268#62268

Exactly.  That is how I have it setup but it is not working.  It is setup the same way for my server nic teaming.  That works well and it clears the events no problem.