Fresh install fail
joeadmin
2012-04-20 18:49:28 UTC
joeadmin [http://community.zenoss.org/people/joeadmin] created the discussion

"Fresh install fail"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65992#65992

Ubuntu 11.10 I have been using Zenoss for 4 years and decided to build a fresh new system. When installing Zenoss 3.2.1 it appears to go well an then I get Make: *** [zope-install] Error 1
Unable to build zenoss and prerequisites, see zenbuild.log

In the log I see this:
File "//usr/local/zenoss/lib/python2.6/hashlib.py", line 66, in __get_builtin_constructor
    import _sha256
ImportError: No module named _sha256

I have googled but could find no meaningful information.

Has anyone else seen this?  Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help

nilie
2012-04-20 19:43:54 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: Fresh install fail"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65993#65993

Unfortunately I have no skills in Python programming but to me it seems like the error message is telling you something about a Python module missing from your default installation. Look into the software repositories for any Python module that is related to cryptographic functions, speciffically sha256 hashing functions.
Anyone who is experienced in Python programmming and familiar with Ubuntu will be in a better position to help us here.

goliathlibrary
2012-04-20 19:44:08 UTC
goliathlibrary [http://community.zenoss.org/people/goliathlibrary] created the discussion

"Re: Fresh install fail"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/66002#66002

Hey Joe - I believe this to be tied to openssl not being in a standard location and python is having issues find that particular module or you are just missing that module. You might get lucky and correct the problem  with an apt-get install openssl-devel.

joeadmin
2012-04-20 20:26:56 UTC
joeadmin [http://community.zenoss.org/people/joeadmin] created the discussion

"Re: Fresh install fail"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65994#65994

I did the apt-get you mentioned but it told me they were already installed and up to date, which is what I figured. I did a straight by the book install of Ubuntu but I must have missed something. What is the deafult location for  Openssl?

goliathlibrary
2012-04-20 20:50:12 UTC
goliathlibrary [http://community.zenoss.org/people/goliathlibrary] created the discussion

"Re: Fresh install fail"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/66003#66003

no luck - that was in my notes so ran into this error at one point. You will find openssl in /usr/bin. Sorry will let you know if I find anything.

joeadmin
2012-04-21 12:22:22 UTC
joeadmin [http://community.zenoss.org/people/joeadmin] created the discussion

"Re: Fresh install fail"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65995#65995

Well after much frustration I formatted the hard disk c and very carefully did a new install of Ubuntu Server 11.10 and Zenoss-3.2.1 from the source tarball. I very carefully followed all the instructions in the pdf file and I still get the exact same error.

When I installed Ubuntu Server 11.10 I selected to install Openssl and Lamp from the check box. I would think that since Ubuntu was installing Openssl it would place it in the proper spot. I looked at the install and openssl is in the usr/bin directory.

Carefull review of the zenbuildlog searching for the word error I found this:
File "//usr/local/zenoss/lib/python2.6/hashlib.py", line 66, in __get_builtin_constructor
    import _sha256
ImportError: No module named _sha256
the error message ImportError: No Module name _sha256 appears exactly 80 times in the log.

What is going on. I obviously have missed something stupid but I just can't see it and I need a fresh set of eyes on this problem

Thansk to all that read this maybe someone can shed some light

dpetzel
2012-04-23 01:35:33 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Fresh install fail"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/66006#66006

Have you tried the stack installer rather than source? That aside, I don't have a direct answer to your question, but some googling has yieled quite a few articles about a very similar stack trace and python 2.6 (which 3.2.1. uses). A couple that might be worth trying are:
http://plone.293351.n2.nabble.com/Plone-setup-failed-on-Ubuntu-11-10-YOU-need-to-replace-md5-with-hashlib-td6836187.html http://plone.293351.n2.nabble.com/Plone-setup-failed-on-Ubuntu-11-10-YOU-need-to-replace-md5-with-hashlib-td6836187.html
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/python/python/649734 http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/python/python/649734

Sorry for not having a more sure-fire fix.

joeadmin
2012-04-23 14:37:09 UTC
joeadmin [http://community.zenoss.org/people/joeadmin] created the discussion

"Re: Fresh install fail"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/66012#66012

Thanks to all for your support.

I ended up reinstalling and droping down to Ubuntu 10.04 and loading from the tarball and everything worked after a few false starts.

The most I could find on my origninal error dealt with Python 2.7 errors but I found no solution.