Zenoss with Extreme Networks equipments
zenoss-dranix
2013-01-15 07:12:44 UTC
zenoss-dranix [http://community.zenoss.org/people/zenoss-dranix] created the discussion

"Zenoss with Extreme Networks equipments"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70974#70974

Is it possible to configure Zenoss to integrate with Extreme Networks equipments. I think my main concerns are with SMNP and if Zenoss would have the MIBs.
Thanks.
Regards,
Anan

j053ph4
2013-01-15 14:08:13 UTC
j053ph4 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/j053ph4] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss with Extreme Networks equipments"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71007#71007

We have some of that gear as well.  Ours is a bit older, but it's mostly a factor of tracking down and loading the MIB files (Zenoss doesn't have them pre-loaded).

Joseph

2013-01-15 15:10:41 UTC

"Re: Zenoss with Extreme Networks equipments"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71012#71012

Also note that the MIBS are only used for traps, not active polling.

zenoss-dranix
2013-01-16 03:09:34 UTC
zenoss-dranix [http://community.zenoss.org/people/zenoss-dranix] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss with Extreme Networks equipments"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71019#71019

Based on my understanding of the answers...
( http://community.zenoss.org/people/j053ph4 j053ph4)
I could simple do an snmpwalk and get Zenoss to understand the Extreme equipment MIBs?

( http://community.zenoss.org/people/jmp242 jmp242)
Do you mean that only traps from Extreme would be recognised by Zenoss?

nilie
2013-01-16 20:06:44 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss with Extreme Networks equipments"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71047#71047

If you use those MIBs for performance monitoring, you'll have to tell Zenoss speciffically which OID to use. If you want to use MIBs to translate traps, there are some that are standard, device independent MIBs (like IF-MIB) and others that are speciffic to Extreme Networks equipments, these last ones are those you have to load into Zenoss.
As for your second question, Zenoss will acept any snmp trap and will try to translate it according to the MIBs you loaded, by matching the numeric OID into a meaningful string of characters. If it can't find a match, Zenoss wil deliver the trap to the event manager in its numeric form.
In conclusion :
1. I doubt a snmpwalk will show you the trap OIDs
2. you will need the MIB from Extreme Networks to be able to translate the traps sent by their equipments. Traps from Extreme Networks equipments will be translated into meaningful messages while traps from other equipments will be matched against MIB from their respective vendors or otherwise left untranslated.

zenoss-dranix
2013-01-17 06:09:22 UTC
zenoss-dranix [http://community.zenoss.org/people/zenoss-dranix] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss with Extreme Networks equipments"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71066#71066

Thanks for your replies.
I have tried to get Zenoss to detect an Extreme device. It did so automatically. For now, interfaces are able to detect the throughput, packets and error information. Will try to manually insert the OID information to check.
Thank You.