4.2.0 upgrade question regarding MySQL
T_R_J
2013-05-13 22:49:27 UTC
T_R_J [http://community.zenoss.org/people/T_R_J] created the discussion

"4.2.0 upgrade question regarding MySQL"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73187#73187

Hi all,

I'm in the process of attempting to upgrade 4.2.0 to 4.2.3 using the autodeploy script when it shows me this:

It appears that the distro-supplied version of MySQL is at least partially installed,
or a prior installation attempt failed.

Please remove these packages, as well as their dependencies (often postfix), and then
retry this script:

MySQL-shared-5.5.28-1.linux2.6.x86_64
MySQL-server-5.5.28-1.linux2.6.x86_64
MySQL-client-5.5.28-1.linux2.6.x86_64

My current Zenoss is running without issue now, I don't think it's wise to blow away my existing MySQL to satisfy this script.  Help?

Thanks!

Shane Scott
2013-05-14 15:16:39 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: 4.2.0 upgrade question regarding MySQL"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73205#73205

TRJ,

yum remove MySQL* and yum remove mysql*  then try again.

Best,
--Shane Scott (Hackman238)

nilie
2013-05-14 15:22:38 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: 4.2.0 upgrade question regarding MySQL"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73206#73206

Isn't this going to nuke the database ? Wouldn't it be wise for the autodeploy script to detect an existing installation and upgrade it ?

T_R_J
2013-05-14 17:59:59 UTC
T_R_J [http://community.zenoss.org/people/T_R_J] created the discussion

"Re: 4.2.0 upgrade question regarding MySQL"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73191#73191

Exactly... This is my fear.

Shane Scott
2013-05-15 13:01:55 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: 4.2.0 upgrade question regarding MySQL"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73223#73223

T_R_J,

It shouldn't delete the data from /var/lib/mysql/data, no, but it wouldn't hurt to back it up to be sure.

--Shane Scott (Hackman238)

nilie
2013-05-15 20:01:13 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: 4.2.0 upgrade question regarding MySQL"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73242#73242

It seems to me that running the auto-install script for updating 4.2.0 to 4.2.3 is suboptimal, maybe a distinct script for a minor update would be a better idea.
In my case updating Zenoss was as simple as :
1. Stopping Zenoss
2. Upgrading rabbitmq-server (new version required)
3. Running yum update with the 4.2.3 rpm (much gentle than yum install)
4. Starting Zenoss
I did the same thing on the remote collector but it was a little bit trickier because Zenoss update requires MySQL to be up and running even though it is not used at all (I had it stopped in order to spare the system resources).

Andrew Kirch
2013-05-15 21:58:18 UTC
Andrew Kirch [http://community.zenoss.org/people/akirch] created the discussion

"Re: 4.2.0 upgrade question regarding MySQL"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73243#73243