ssCpuRawSystem
Yasha Zislin
2012-02-24 17:53:05 UTC
Yasha Zislin [http://community.zenoss.org/people/yzislin] created the discussion

"ssCpuRawSystem"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64769#64769

I have a linux device which I monitor. Recently I've noticed that build in monitoring templates for CPU Utilization dont provide values (it's all zeros).
I have started digging deeper and found out that system is using ssCPUSystem, ssCPUUser and ssCPUidle counters.
Per Net-SNMP release notes, these OIDs have been depreciated and that we should be using ssCPURawSystem OIDs.
I have multiple CPUs so this counter combines them together and it provides ticks.

Does anybody know how can I figure out the % of CPU utilization for these counters? I dont care for cpu utilization per CPU. I just want to know overall.

Thanks.

Yasha Zislin
2012-02-24 19:39:43 UTC
Yasha Zislin [http://community.zenoss.org/people/yzislin] created the discussion

"Re: ssCpuRawSystem"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64771#64771

Ok. So I've almost figured it out myself.
It seems that total value for these counters is N * 100 where N is number of the CPUs.
So to figure out the percentage for each => current (value / total) * 100.

So now I want to modify the formula for these OIDs but the problem is I am not sure how to retreive the "number of CPUs" info.

Any ideas?

Yasha Zislin
2012-03-05 18:06:06 UTC
Yasha Zislin [http://community.zenoss.org/people/yzislin] created the discussion

"Re: ssCpuRawSystem"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64947#64947

It looks like I managed to figure this out myself.
So for those of you who are interested in configuring CPU utilization with proper (ie not depreciated) OIDs here is what needs to be done.

Configure 4 data points ssCpuRawSystem, ssCpuRawUser, ssCpuRawIdle, ssCpuRawNice. Set them to DERIVE type.
Create a graph with all 4 of these. and add the following in RPN formula for these data points in the graph.
${here/hw/cpus/countObjects},/