What installation method is better?stack or source?
r c
2012-02-23 03:47:35 UTC
r c [http://community.zenoss.org/people/raelanne] created the discussion

"What installation method is better?stack or source?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64732#64732

I'm confused between the two. I've tried installing using the *.deb stack installer, it was an easy install but i couldn't view/enter the Zenoss events database for the reason that I can't login to it. I never provided a Zenoss mysql username and password during the installation and yet on Zenoss (Event Management > Connection Configuration) there is an existing mysql database with a provided username:zenoss and a password I don't know.Now i uninstalled it and i'm currently installing from the source. What exactly are their differences? Pros and Cons of each?thanks.

2012-02-23 12:57:56 UTC

"Re: What installation method is better?stack or source?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64756#64756

Historically, the stack install has been easier. However, for v4, the stack installer will be gone, and in fact it seems unlikely there will be a debian based install at all initially. Source install is just that, you compile it and it hopefully works. Generally I recommend installing on a RHEL derivative as that's what most of the testing is against, but that may be changing if they can get core 4 accepted by the distros...