/Status/Ping with critical severity
Mouhammed Soueidane
2012-12-14 10:15:06 UTC
Mouhammed Soueidane [http://community.zenoss.org/people/raziology] created the discussion

"/Status/Ping with critical severity"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70543#70543

Hi everyone,
In Zenoss 4.2.0 Administration Documentation, the following was mentioned:

*+7.1.8.2.1. Example+*
*+The following example shows how to use the zensendevent script to simulate a ping down event:+*
*+zensendevent -d router1.example.com -s Critical -c /Status/Ping "Router down"
+*

The thing is, when I issued the above command for one of my devices, an event has been created for that device with an event class /Status/Ping, and a severity=Critical. This however still displayed my device as being "UP" in the device status (With a green light), though I expect it to be red. I used to rely on this behavior in Zenoss 3.1.0 which is obviously not working in 4.2.0.

Is this a bug? Or did anything changed in the new release?

Many thanks.

Mouhammed Soueidane
2012-12-14 14:15:50 UTC
Mouhammed Soueidane [http://community.zenoss.org/people/raziology] created the discussion

"Re: /Status/Ping with critical severity"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70546#70546

After checking some stuff here and there, I have realized that the following should be satisfied in order to see a "Down" device:
1- The event class should be of type "/Status/Ping"
2- The event severity shoud be "Critical"
3- The IP address field for the device should be set
4- For some weird reason, if the component field for your monitoring template is set to anything else than an empty field, the device status would still be up with the above criteria being met. You should keep the "Component" field empty, which maps to a "null" value later when the event is created

I'm more than sure that without points 3 and 4 from the above list, Zenoss core 3.1.0 was able to consider a device as being down by simply satisfying points 1 and 2. Is this an intended change in Zenoss 4.2.0? Or is it a bug?

Shane Scott
2012-12-17 21:13:19 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: /Status/Ping with critical severity"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70592#70592

Mouhammed:

It's #4 that was causing the problem. If the component is set then the system figures event belongs to the listed component under the parent device, not the parent device itself.

Best,
--Shane Scott (Hackman238)

Mouhammed Soueidane
2012-12-19 12:38:48 UTC
Mouhammed Soueidane [http://community.zenoss.org/people/raziology] created the discussion

"Re: /Status/Ping with critical severity"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70629#70629

Shane:
I'm sorry man I did not quite get you on this one. Could you please elaborate?

Shane Scott
2012-12-20 00:18:38 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: /Status/Ping with critical severity"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70664#70664

Mouhammed:

I meant that item 4 in your list is a definite cause.

--Shane Scott (Hackman238)

Mouhammed Soueidane
2012-12-20 12:38:17 UTC
Mouhammed Soueidane [http://community.zenoss.org/people/raziology] created the discussion

"Re: /Status/Ping with critical severity"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70647#70647

Shane:

Ah ok got you man. Thanks again for the help for it's really appreciated.