Zenoss 4.2.4 -- SNMP agent down - no response received
mmercier
2013-10-11 14:11:39 UTC
mmercier [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mmercier] created the discussion

"Zenoss 4.2.4 -- SNMP agent down - no response received"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74905#74905

Hello,

I seem to be having a strange issue with my Zenoss 4.2.4 install, I have had this happen at least twice now.

Hardware:
Dell R720
64GB RAM
Fully patched CentOS 6.4
106 monitored devices using SNMPv3

Here is the issue:
1. The Event Window will show the message  "SNMP agent down - no response received" for one (or more) device(s).
2. It is not always the same device(s)
3. Most of the time, running 'zenperfsnmp run -d <device>' works successfully and removes the event, but on the next scheduled run of zenperfsnmp, the evert returns
4. snmpwalk <device> always works
5. On one occasion, running 'zenperfsnmp run -d <device>, zenperfsnmp timed out trying to connect to zenhub
6. A full restart (zenoss restart) resolves the issue for a period of time, but the issue seems to return

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike

Mark Norton
2013-10-12 19:08:05 UTC
Mark Norton [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mnorton] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2.4 -- SNMP agent down - no response received"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74940#74940

I'm running 4.2.4 as well and seemed to be having this same problem except for the fact that restarting the managment station didn't help. For some reason the router in front of Zenoss was blocking only certain responses from at first one and then two devices being monitored via SNMPv3.

I used tcpdump and wireshark at the devices and worked my way back to zenoss until I didn't see a response. The culprit was the router driectly in front of Zenoss was for some reason blocking those packets. In your case it just may be iptables on the Zenoss box itself. Try killing iptables when you first start to see the issue.

Mark Norton
2013-10-13 23:27:43 UTC
Mark Norton [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mnorton] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2.4 -- SNMP agent down - no response received"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74941#74941

I thought I had the answer but I just found two devices that were behaving exactly the same way you described. What threw me off was this time an internal device (inside my own network) and an external device no longer seemed to recieve responses at the management station. :|

Restarted the zensoss server with a 'reboot' rather than 'zenoss restart' and all was well again.

Double checked the firewall with 'iptables -L' and udp/161 was open so that should not be an issue here.

I used the auto-deply script per the zenoss install page on top of a Centos 6.4 with the latest updates. I did turn auto-updates on and am starting to wonder if that was a mistake.

mmercier
2013-10-16 19:32:22 UTC
mmercier [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mmercier] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2.4 -- SNMP agent down - no response received"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74974#74974

I installed doing the following:

1.  Installed and patched CentOS
2.  Installed 4.2.3 using the auto-deploy script
3.  Upgaded to 4.2.4 via RPM
4.  Added all the nodes using zenobatchload (using data from zenbatchdump on my old 3.x system)
5.  Copied the RRD graphs from the old system to the new system
6.  Manually added all the users from the old system

I patch CentOS whenever there are available fixes.

What do you mean by auto-updates?  CentOS or Zenoss?

Mark Norton
2013-10-20 23:11:32 UTC
Mark Norton [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mnorton] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2.4 -- SNMP agent down - no response received"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/75005#75005

I have Centos setup to auto-update. I had one of the same systems I've been having trouble with stop responding again. After a restart of the Zenoss machine, everythings fine.