Not getting emails
Jason Poth
2012-10-22 21:08:38 UTC
Jason Poth [http://community.zenoss.org/people/sentinelace] created the discussion

"Not getting emails"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69447#69447

I get the email when I hit test under my username.  When I reboot an AP, it goes red and shows down but I do NOT get an email.  Postfix is not installed.  I pointed the smtp to my current server.

nilie
2012-10-23 03:54:18 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: Not getting emails"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69452#69452

Did you create an alert rule ?

Jason Poth
2012-10-23 14:52:35 UTC
Jason Poth [http://community.zenoss.org/people/sentinelace] created the discussion

"Re: Not getting emails"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69467#69467

last time I set this up all I had to do is add me to the list in the config.  Ping is set

nilie
2012-10-24 16:10:07 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: Not getting emails"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69510#69510

You didn't provide enough details (what version are you running, is this a newly installed server or not etc.) so it will be difficult for me to come up with a solution. However, the smtp server seems to be setup correctly and working fine but you didn't seem to have created any alerting rules. Basically, you will have to decide what devices, event severity etc. will be considered to trigger an email alert and also when and to whom those alerts will be sent.
Basically your rules should be something like this :

if the device class is "AP" AND production state is "Production" AND severity is "Error or Higher" THEN send an email to your "designated_user_or_group".

I know that by default, a freshly installed Zenoss server does not have any rule defined. Check the Zenoss documentation for details on how you configure this.

Hope this will help.