How to add OIDs from fibre-channel switch easily?
Michael s
2012-04-04 15:56:22 UTC
Michael s [http://community.zenoss.org/people/michael.s] created the discussion

"How to add OIDs from fibre-channel switch easily?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65716#65716

i have two qlogic SANbox 5800 switches, where i want to graph everything which i can get from the switch. The problem is that i only have a MIB-Pack from the vendor, but i don't know how to use these MIBs with Zenoss.
The other way is to look up the OIDs manually(per snmpwalk) and add manually datapoints to a new template. But that costs much more time than import an existing MIB... Can you explain me how to import the right OIDs for new devices?

thx
Michael.S

themactech
2012-04-04 21:55:21 UTC
themactech [http://community.zenoss.org/people/themactech] created the discussion

"Re: How to add OIDs from fibre-channel switch easily?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65717#65717

You have to make a custom ZenPack which will have templates for your interfaces.  This is not trivial and not well documented.  I have to do the same thing with QLogic switches.  The best starting point is the ZenPack creation guide by Jane Curry, but some of that will change with the 4.x release of Zenoss.

Another way to cheat this is to make a shell script that walks the entire interface branch (i.e. every fiber port), check that all of them are ok, and give an alert exit code with appropriate message if any are unhappy.  This is very sloppy and you don't get the performance graphs however.  This script you turn into a command datapoint.

Would look something like this:

#!/bin/bash

TheIP=$1
TheCom=$2
TheVer=$3

TheOutput=""

TheWalk=`snmpwalk -v"$TheVer" -c"$TheCom" "$TheIP" <insert your OID branch here>`

(Here you make a loop thru every entry or your SNMP walk, if a port is out of bound add it to the alert msg)
     if the test fails
          TheOutput="${TheOutput}\r\n$ThePort $TheError"
     end if

then output in proper nagios format, note I don't have time to write proper bash, this is a rough example meant to show structure only.

Manuel

Michael s
2012-04-24 08:36:26 UTC
Michael s [http://community.zenoss.org/people/michael.s] created the discussion

"Re: How to add OIDs from fibre-channel switch easily?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/66032#66032

Ok, thank you for your reply, but i am not a good bash-programmer. So i decided to add the OIDs manually.
But now i have the Problem that i want the graphs of the interfaces in the "Interfaces" tab not in the "Graphs" tab.
i now that this has to do with  the interface templates. But i dont know how to tell Zenoss that the Ports of my Fiber-Channel-Switch are also Interfaces...
Can anyone help me?

themactech
2012-04-24 15:28:54 UTC
themactech [http://community.zenoss.org/people/themactech] created the discussion

"Re: How to add OIDs from fibre-channel switch easily?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/66042#66042

I would like to make this happen as well, I need to monitor QLogic fiber switches and would love to have the ports of the fabric show up in the interface tabs with performance data and also with automatic alerts on a 'collision' or 'error' threshold on the port to identify bad fiber cables.

My holy grail in Zenoss is to make custom components, and I have not been able to do so.  Getting the port to show up in interfaces would be great, but also, getting fans, temperature sensors, controller status, and power supplies to show up in 'components' with graphs and alert thresholds would be perfect.

It's not something I have been able to do and sadly it hasn't been at the top of my pile.  If you want to tackle this, you can count me in for any bash script you need, I'll write them.

Manuel

themactech
2012-04-24 15:30:53 UTC
themactech [http://community.zenoss.org/people/themactech] created the discussion

"Re: How to add OIDs from fibre-channel switch easily?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/66043#66043

Note that from Jane Curry's ZenPack development documentation, bash programming is not what is required here but requires instead to play with python code and classes within Zenoss.  I can tell you that we are very eagerly awaiting detailled documentation from Zenoss on that subject, both for 3.x and for 4.x

Manuel