Question about the Maintenance Production State
Luca Maranzano
2012-01-23 21:33:44 UTC
Luca Maranzano [http://community.zenoss.org/people/liuk] created the discussion

"Question about the Maintenance Production State"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63820#63820

Hello all,

from the documentation about Production State (for example here: http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-7684 http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-7684) I can read that a Device in the Maintenance state "may appear" on the Dashboard, but from my tests on Zenoss 3.2.1 I can affirm that it *does not* appear on the Dashboard, but any event related to a device in this state is displayed in the Event list.

So what's the meaning of "may appear" ?

Besides, if it does not appear the behaviour is identical to the Pre-Produtcion state (see the matrix in the doc) and this is a non-sense IMHO.

Thank you.
Cheers,
Luca

jcurry
2012-01-24 15:51:48 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Question about the Maintenance Production State"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63868#63868

3.2.1 came along after that document was last updated, I suspect; indeed I don't think that doc has been updated for yonks.

I think you will find the default behaviour - like the dashboard and what is shown in the events - is the same for Preproduction and Maintenance.

Where you CAN make use of the different states is in filters on alerts (email / pager) on event commands and possibly as a test for an event transform.

Cheers,
Jane

2012-01-25 13:38:20 UTC

"Re: Question about the Maintenance Production State"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63890#63890

I don't know about the dashboard, but I do know in the infrastructure list, depending on what filters you set vs the default, you may see maintenance production states, but by default you won't. Of course, that may have nothing to do with what they're talking about.

jcurry
2012-01-25 15:13:57 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Question about the Maintenance Production State"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63903#63903

Just done some more digging on this one.  Under ADVANCED -> Settings there are options for:
* Dashboard Production State Threshold   (default 1000)
* Dashboard Priority Threshold   (default 2)
The dashboard priority threshold referes to the device priority which most people leave at the default of 2 (Low).
The dashboard production state threshold refers to the devices included in the Device Issues portlet.  By deafult only those with production state of "Production" (=1000) are included.  If you change this setting to -1 (Decommissioned) then all devices are eligible for inclusion in this portlet.

What you don't seem able to change is the event severity that is included - that seems to be hard-coded for Critical (5), Error (4) and Warning(3).  There was a ticket 4429 - http://dev.zenoss.org/trac/ticket/4429 http://dev.zenoss.org/trac/ticket/4429 3 years back to request a configuration option for Dashboard Severity Threshold but this is still in the "future enhancements" bucket.

So, to return to your original question of showing on the dashboard Devices Issues portlet, errors for devices in the Maintenance production state, change ADVANCED -> Settings "Dashboard Production State Threshold" to 300 (for Maintenance).

Cheers,
Jane