portscan.IPServiceMap vs snmp.IPServiceMap
zenoss-dranix
2013-01-16 07:55:46 UTC
zenoss-dranix [http://community.zenoss.org/people/zenoss-dranix] created the discussion

"portscan.IPServiceMap vs snmp.IPServiceMap"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71036#71036

I am trying to configure Zenoss to monitor a few ports on a server. So after playing around with the Modeler Plugins, i encountered a situation.
When i used zenoss.snmp.IPServiceMap and executed Model Device, Zenoss was able to detect a number of ports. So talking about my problem i have a tftp port listening on the server TCP port 69. Using the zenoss.snmp.IPServiceMap, Zenoss was able to detect port 69 and it appears in the Components -> IP Services. 1st problem, I am unable to get that port Monitored. I have gone to the IP Services and enabled the zMonitor to True for port 69. But somehow it doesn't monitor the port.

So, i tried to use portscan.IPServiceMap and executed Model Device, this time Zenoss detected much lesser ports. So i manually added port 69 in. To my surprise the port was added and was automatically being monitored. All well and good until it kept on alerting because it was not able to detect that the tftp port was open. In actual fact, port 69 is listening on the server being monitored. So now i'm lost as to why this 2 wierd scenarios happened.

Anyone able to advice?
Thank You.

alex0cy
2013-01-16 15:04:20 UTC
alex0cy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/alex0cy] created the discussion

"Re: portscan.IPServiceMap vs snmp.IPServiceMap"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71031#71031

TFTP uses UDP protocol which is not connection-oriented, so basically you can not check if UDP port is listen in remote machine or not. You shall do check on application level, i.e. create command template on zenoss which will execute script to run tftp client and report if remote side is alive

zenoss-dranix
2013-01-17 05:53:18 UTC
zenoss-dranix [http://community.zenoss.org/people/zenoss-dranix] created the discussion

"Re: portscan.IPServiceMap vs snmp.IPServiceMap"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71049#71049

Hi http://community.zenoss.org/people/alex0cy alex0cy,
Seems like i overlooked that matter. I also did a nmap scan but however didn't seem to bea able to detect the tftp port as open.
Thank for your help.