New to Zenoss upgrading 3.1.0 to 4.2.3
Mosii
2013-01-21 18:56:37 UTC
Mosii [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Mosii] created the discussion

"New to Zenoss upgrading 3.1.0 to 4.2.3"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71123#71123

Good afternoon,

I am new to Zenoss I recently started at this company and found out that we have zenoss installed.  I have never used it before but I thought I would give it a shot after a little research.  From the looks of it, it seems it was only half set up to begin with.  I wanted to start by upgrading from 3.1.0 to 4.2.3.  I found this link that seemed like it was a good start: http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-13022 http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-13022. I am getting stuck though when shutting down the services for zenoss.
# service zenoss stop
zenoss: unrecognized service

I have no idea what or where to really go with after this so I am turning to the community to see if I could get a hand with this upgrade.  If I could get a hand I would greatly apprecitate it.

Thanks,

joanypony
2013-01-22 09:55:53 UTC
joanypony [http://community.zenoss.org/people/joanypony] created the discussion

"Re: New to Zenoss upgrading 3.1.0 to 4.2.3"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71129#71129

Hi M,

Just try using "zenoss stop" as the zenoss user.

Joan

jcurry
2013-01-22 15:28:16 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: New to Zenoss upgrading 3.1.0 to 4.2.3"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71137#71137

Before you spend lots of time on upgrading, a few caveats:

1) Zenoss 4.x is only available for RedHat / CentOS.  If your existing platform is not one of these then I would not consider trying to upgrade.  Start again from scratch.
2) You cannot upgrade directly from 3.1 to 4.x - you need to go via 3.2.1 (3.1 -> 3.2.1 ought to be relatively painless but IS necessary).

If you have recently inherited your existing Zenoss I would at least question whether you want to upgrade or whether you should start fresh.  How many devices are currently being managed?  Any idea how much customisation has been done?

Cheers,
Jane

Mosii
2013-01-22 18:02:28 UTC
Mosii [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Mosii] created the discussion

"Re: New to Zenoss upgrading 3.1.0 to 4.2.3"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71145#71145

Thanks for the responses.  It is currently running on a VM with CentOS 5.4.  I will look for 3.2.1 now and see what I will need to do for that.

Currently there really isn't much configured nothing seems to be monitoring at all.  We are a smaller company but about half of our stuff is in zenoss.  Now if it is configured corretly I would not be able to know until I start digging a little more into it.   I do see quite a few things that could use an update below are my version listings.  I am not sure if they will also need to be upgraded to run 4.x .  I tried setting up another account the yesterday and it seemed that the SMTP is also not working.
| Software Component Versions | |

| | Zenoss (http://www.zenoss.com/) | Zenoss 3.1.0 |
| OS (http://www.tldp.org/) | Linux (x86_64) 2.6.18 (Linux vsg-alert 2.6.18-164.el5 #1 SMP Thu Sep 3 03:28:30 EDT 2009 x86_64) |
| Zope (http://www.zope.org/) | Zope 2.12.1 |
| Python (http://www.python.org/) | Python 2.6.2 |
| Database (http://www.mysql.com/) | MySQL 5.0.45 (Ver 5.0.45) |
| RRD (http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool) | RRDtool 1.3.9 |
| Twisted (http://twistedmatrix.com/trac) | Twisted 8.1.0 |
| NetSnmp (http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/) | NetSnmp 5.4.1 |
| PyNetSnmp (http://www.zenoss.com/) | PyNetSnmp 0.28.14 |
| WMI (http://www.zenoss.com/) | Wmi 1.3.13 |

Thanks for your time,

jcurry
2013-01-22 18:12:12 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: New to Zenoss upgrading 3.1.0 to 4.2.3"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71140#71140

3.1 was a good, stable version.  That's what I would recommend if you didn't want to go to Zenoss 4.x (for some reason - like possibly an add-on ZenPack may not be supported).

On the other hand, if there isn't much configured, and especially if you don't have any requirements for unsupported ZenPacks, then I would say start again and go with Zenoss 4.2.3.

To see your ZenPacks, as the zenoss user, run:
zenpack --list

Feel free to post the list here for a quick scan.

Cheers,
Jane

Mosii
2013-01-22 19:04:56 UTC
Mosii [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Mosii] created the discussion

"Re: New to Zenoss upgrading 3.1.0 to 4.2.3"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71156#71156

Jcurry,

There are only a few.  From looking at this selection is where I started to realize that this may half configured and installed.

ZenPacks.community.LinuxMonitorAddOn (/usr/local/zenoss/zenoss/ZenPacks/ZenPacks.community.LinuxMonitorAddOn-1.0-py2.6.egg)
ZenPacks.community.VMwareDataSource (/usr/local/zenoss/zenoss/ZenPacks/ZenPacks.community.VMwareDataSource-1.1.2.egg)
ZenPacks.community.VMwareESXiMonitor (/usr/local/zenoss/zenoss/ZenPacks/ZenPacks.community.VMwareESXiMonitor-1.2.egg)
ZenPacks.zenoss.LinuxMonitor (/usr/local/zenoss/zenoss/ZenPacks/ZenPacks.zenoss.LinuxMonitor-1.1.5-py2.6.egg)
ZenPacks.zenoss.ZenossVirtualHostMonitor (/usr/local/zenoss/zenoss/ZenPacks/ZenPacks.zenoss.ZenossVirtualHostMonitor-2.3.6-py2.6.egg)

Marcus R. Brown
Vachio Solutions Group
2403 Harnish Drive, Suite 200
Algonquin, Illinois 60102
www.go-vsg.com< http://www.go-vsg.com/ http://www.go-vsg.com/

2013-01-22 19:23:34 UTC

"Re: New to Zenoss upgrading 3.1.0 to 4.2.3"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71149#71149

I'd also suggest you just start over with v4.2.3 and a known level of configuration ... none. You can tear your hair out over figuring out a previous config and if it's not really valuable or being used - just throw it out. You'll be glad you started from scratch IMO.

jcurry
2013-01-22 20:46:41 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: New to Zenoss upgrading 3.1.0 to 4.2.3"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71159#71159

Hmmm - the LinuxMonitor and LinuxMonitorAddOn stuff is old and probably not needed any more - it was helpful to talk to Linux boxes via ssh when you had no SNMP access.

The 3 VMware ZenPacks are common.  They can be somewhat tricky to make work but I think they may all be do-able with the latest version of Zenoss.  It may need updates on the VMware side too though.

If you are considering trying an upgrade then it will mean de-installing all the ZenPacks and then reinstalling the newer versions.

As James says, I'd be tempted to start afresh.

Cheers,
Jane

Mosii
2013-01-23 18:54:41 UTC
Mosii [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Mosii] created the discussion

"Re: New to Zenoss upgrading 3.1.0 to 4.2.3"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71168#71168

Thanks for the input.  I think I will reinstall.  I actually just got done putting this on a vm is there a special way to get zenoss services started? Do I need to create a zenoss user?  I followed the fresh install instructions on the wiki but going to 172.0.0.1:8080 is not redirecting me to the web interface to set up everything else.

jcurry
2013-01-23 19:05:50 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: New to Zenoss upgrading 3.1.0 to 4.2.3"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71169#71169

Did you use the auto-deploy script to install?  That's much the best way.  The zenoss user should be created automatically when Zenoss is installed but it is installed in such a way that you cannot logon directly as zenoss.  I would logon as muself and then:
su                         to su to root
su  -  zenoss         to switch user to zenoss

I would then check the state of zenoss with
zenoss status

zenoss start
zenoss start

will start and stop all Zenoss daemons.

That url should be 127.0.0.1:8080 or localhost:8080 - ie the local box.

Cheers,
Jane

Mosii
2013-01-23 19:19:24 UTC
Mosii [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Mosii] created the discussion

"Re: New to Zenoss upgrading 3.1.0 to 4.2.3"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71170#71170

This shouldn’t make a difference I used a VM I was using to test another software unrelated to NMS but no users were created for zenoss when I used the
Auto-deploy.sh

Mosii
2013-01-29 16:19:09 UTC
Mosii [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Mosii] created the discussion

"Re: New to Zenoss upgrading 3.1.0 to 4.2.3"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71260#71260

This is what I am getting when I run that script:

cid:***@01CDFE0A.04DD4330

2013-01-29 16:20:54 UTC

"Re: New to Zenoss upgrading 3.1.0 to 4.2.3"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71266#71266

Zenoss 3.2.1 has no script???

Mosii
2013-01-29 16:24:18 UTC
Mosii [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Mosii] created the discussion

"Re: New to Zenoss upgrading 3.1.0 to 4.2.3"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71276#71276

Sorry,  I was trying a fresh install on the vm to take a look at the process like Jcurry suggested.

2013-01-29 16:28:35 UTC

"Re: New to Zenoss upgrading 3.1.0 to 4.2.3"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71268#71268

In that case, you need to uninstall the MySQL that came with the OS.

nilie
2013-01-31 19:46:32 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: New to Zenoss upgrading 3.1.0 to 4.2.3"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71341#71341

If your MySQL database has been shut down properly (i.e. no crash) you can try the following :
1. find and delete the MySQL lock file, if present
2. find and delete the MySQL pid file, if present
3. rename the MySQL configuration files my.cnf
If you can restart your MySQL here, bring back your my.cnf configuration file and restart MySQL.

Mosii
2013-01-31 19:49:12 UTC
Mosii [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Mosii] created the discussion

"Re: New to Zenoss upgrading 3.1.0 to 4.2.3"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71325#71325

Thanks! I was able to get this back up but is there a way to get the script to kick off again without going through the whole install again up to this point?

Mosii
2013-02-04 19:11:38 UTC
Mosii [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Mosii] created the discussion

"Re: New to Zenoss upgrading 3.1.0 to 4.2.3"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71375#71375

Now I have gotten this far with this install and it can’t wget the RPMs for Mysql.  Any ideas?

Downloading and installing MySQL RPMs
--2013-02-04 12:20:53--  http://cdn.mysql.com/Downloads/MySQL-5.5/MySQL-client-5.5.28-1.linux2.6.x86_64.rpm http://cdn.mysql.com/Downloads/MySQL-5.5/MySQL-client-5.5.28-1.linux2.6.x86_64.rpm
Resolving cdn.mysql.com... 23.63.227.210, 23.63.227.129
Connecting to cdn.mysql.com|23.63.227.210|:80... connected.
2013-02-04 12:20:54 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Command failure: wget -N http://cdn.mysql.com/Downloads/MySQL-5.5/MySQL-client-5.5.28-1.linux2.6.x86_64.rpm http://cdn.mysql.com/Downloads/MySQL-5.5/MySQL-client-5.5.28-1.linux2.6.x86_64.rpm

Also if I were to get this is there a way to make the script start from where it stopped?

rolfs
2013-01-24 08:21:47 UTC
rolfs [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rolfs] created the discussion

"Re: New to Zenoss upgrading 3.1.0 to 4.2.3"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71188#71188

Where is the PDF document for upgrading 3.1.0 to 3.2.1 ?
I think it says in the documentation for upgrading to 4.2.3 that you must upgrade to 3.2.1 before upgrading to 4.2.3 ... ?

2013-01-24 13:52:13 UTC

"Re: New to Zenoss upgrading 3.1.0 to 4.2.3"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71204#71204

There's just release notes for 3.2.1 - you should just be able to install the upgrade...