Device not showing any interfaces
Shane Ketterman
2013-06-01 21:28:42 UTC
Shane Ketterman [http://community.zenoss.org/people/shaneketterman] created the discussion

"Device not showing any interfaces"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73438#73438

We are running Zenoss 4.2.3 and I noticed something odd which I'm not sure how it happened as I just took over administration of Zenoss.  We have two Cisco ASR's (Service Routers) and they are known by their Virtual Addresses not their physical ones.  One of them shows up in /Network/Switch/Cisco and it has all 573 interfaces listed in the details.  The other ASR shows up /Network/Router and when I click the details of it, I do not see any interfaces listed at all even if I remodel the device.  They both have the exact same modeler plugins as well.

1.  Why would one show up as a switch and the other as a router? Or perhaps that was done manually and I'm not aware of it.
2.  Why and how do I get the Interfaces to show up on the one that is not showing any interfaces at all?

nilie
2013-06-03 15:06:07 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: Device not showing any interfaces"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73448#73448

Normally a device is placed in a speciffic class at creation time. Whenever you add a new device you will have to tell Zenoss in which device class you want to create it. Based on this device class, Zenoss will use speciffic modeler plugins and templates. Configuration properties including plugins and templates are being inherited by child classes from their parents and they can also be overridden at any level, including at device level.
Short answers for your questions :
1. Most propbably one device has been manually created as a router and the other one as a switch
2. Interfaces are created automatically during the discovery process. You should check if SNMP configuration on the device and in Zenoss match (version, community etc.), make sure no firewall is blocking your server from accessing the router and see if the correct modeling plugins are being used (most speciffically, zenoss.snmp.InterfaceMap)

Hope that helps

Shane Ketterman
2013-06-03 17:09:07 UTC
Shane Ketterman [http://community.zenoss.org/people/shaneketterman] created the discussion

"Re: Device not showing any interfaces"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73456#73456

That definitely helps Nille that definitely clears things up!!!