4.2.x has been extremely buggy for us
Jared Ready
2013-10-09 15:03:09 UTC
Jared Ready [http://community.zenoss.org/people/residentbiscuit] created the discussion

"4.2.x has been extremely buggy for us"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74888#74888

Since our install of 4.2.3 (now 4.2.4), we have had a terrible time. I spend at least a full day of work each week just trying to maintain this install and keep it running. We have daemons dying multiple times a week for seemingly no reason (zenmodeler and zenperfsnmp). Our data polling just quits all the time, so now we have these lovely gaps in all of our graphs, which makes them near useless for determining historical trends. The zenjobs daemon has been refusing to work for the last week now, so we can no longer add/move devices without hard killing the zenjobs processes first. The UI performance has been significantly slower than it was in 3.x, sometimes it appears to be completely unresponsive.

Zenoss has always had it's little bugs, as will any piece of software this size. But this latest 4.x release has just been almost unusable for us. We have been considering just reverting back to a 3.2.1 install where we know the core functionality of the system worked without major issues, not to mention we could go back to having a responsive UI.

We run Zenoss core 4.2.4 on a RHEL6 VM with 16GB RAM and 8 cores, one collector. We monitor 693 devices.

Our upgrade process was as follows:
Our 3.2.1 install was sitting on a physical RHEL5 box, and we wanted to upgrade up to RHEL6 as well.
We created a fresh RHEL6 VM, installed Zenoss 3.2.1 using Shane Scott's modified RPM.
We then migrated our Data.fs and $ZENHOME/etc from the RHEL5 box to the new RHEL6 box.
From here we upgraded Zenoss up to 4.2.3.  <-- Issues started pretty soon after this.
We then upgraded up to 4.2.4.

</rant>

Has anyone else been having as many issues as us, or am I alone with this?

jcurry
2013-10-09 15:29:31 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: 4.2.x has been extremely buggy for us"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74890#74890

You don't say how big your environment is but it sounds like you have pretty good hardware underneath you.

I only have small 4.2.3 installations but I have not seen anything like your pain and I have run those for about 12 months now - they had been upgraded from earlier 4.x installs.  I have not been through a 3.x -> 4.x migration as my 3.x (and 2.x) systems were SuSE so we had no upgrade path to 4.

I now have a small 4.2.4 installation that doesn't appear to have any issues though it hasn't been up long.

Sympathy!
Jane

Eric Gemme
2013-10-09 18:30:55 UTC
Eric Gemme [http://community.zenoss.org/people/egemme] created the discussion

"Re: 4.2.x has been extremely buggy for us"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74906#74906

I agree with Jared.   Zenoss 4.2,  Windows performance ZenPack in particular is very corky and seems to crash the whole event module and doesn't produce any events at all.   The fact Zenoss 4.2 also include core Zenpacks is locking.   Although choosing Zenpacks ourselves is annoying,  it at least provided us some freedom of choice.

It is somehow disapointing since Zenoss 3.2 was rock solid.

I waited a lot before migrating and thought version 4.2.4 would be stable enough but I don't feel it is.

Hope for some fixes soon...

2013-10-09 19:34:02 UTC

"Re: 4.2.x has been extremely buggy for us"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74897#74897

First, if you're on 4.2.4 and have hit bugs, have you installed zenup for the patches? I haven't seen any crashyness on 4.2.4RTM nor on R71?

CLASSE Computer Group

Jared Ready
2013-10-09 19:47:17 UTC
Jared Ready [http://community.zenoss.org/people/residentbiscuit] created the discussion

"Re: 4.2.x has been extremely buggy for us"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74898#74898

We are up-to-date on patches, we're sitting at R71 and have been for over a month now. I was worried that the upgrade might have been the issue, but why should that be? Upgrading software shouldn't break it in the process...

Getting a test server setup currently to see how a fresh 4.2.4 behaves.

Eric Gemme
2013-10-10 11:03:58 UTC
Eric Gemme [http://community.zenoss.org/people/egemme] created the discussion

"Re: 4.2.x has been extremely buggy for us"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74913#74913

On our side,  started from a clean 4.2.4 install using the auto install script on Cent OS 6.3.    Worked out of the box but not without caveats:

We have 28 windows server being a compound of  2008R2 for misc. services,   Exchange 2010 and MSSQL 2012 as well.   I slotted each of them in proper sublcasses but soon discovered that core WMI monitoring implemeted in Zenoss 4.2.4 doesn't necessarily support very well latest versions of Exchange and MSSQL.   Rather support 2007 and 2005  respectively.   I say that because of the ton of "WMI Bad Counter" I see.   Many are from the "Logical volume" issue,  but other from an apparent incompatibility of between newer and older versions of windows according to some threads I read.   I tried some recipes to fix this,  such as the the FileSystem monitor patch and the event transform insert in /status/wmi whithout great success.

Beside these,  esxtop monitoring is really decieving.  Made my server become very slow and could remove any vmware host devices after adding.    Zenoss sent a  "dismiss"  error box when doing so.   I used to use esxi monitoring with Zenoss 3.2 but my attempt to install it in 4.2.4 broke Zenoss.   I gave up using esx monitoring for now until I straight up other issues.

I just thougth about trying zenup to get R71 hoping a relief but not really confident.

Well,  I know you guys make unbelievable efforts to have things right,   but it seems that as Zenoss gets improved,  it gets more complicated.   The RabbitMQ thing seems it has dropped some sand in the gears.    Looking at the zeneventserver,  I see a lot of java errors with the heartbeat processor.   This is something I've never seen before.  I'm currently at finding out what's wrong with this part and will hit the forums with some logs soon.

I just wanted to approve what Jared brought in.   Zenoss is great,  but 4.2 is cumbersome to keep alive.   Zenoss is supposed to help us track issues,  but currently it is the issue and very time consuming which is a non sense.  Just to clarify my statement,  I don't say Zenoss 4.2.4 is unstable, I say it is easy to break.

Thank you for reading.    Just needed to purge some steam out of my head.