About the custom properties
James Smith
2013-03-12 02:16:16 UTC
James Smith [http://community.zenoss.org/people/flyingfish007] created the discussion

"About the custom properties"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72340#72340

In the Zenoss_Administration document of the 4.2.8 title, we will see the words "You cannot define custom properties on an individual device. See the section titled 'Adding Custom Properties' for more information." But I can't find the section titled "Adding Custom Properties" in the document. Anyone can provide me something about the custom properties.

Thanks in advanced!!

-----
James

jcurry
2013-03-12 12:19:29 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: About the custom properties"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72353#72353

Hi James,
You're right - this is very badly documented!

The big caveat is that you can only create custom properties at the top Device level in your INFRASTRUCTURE hierarchy, so any custom property (or Custom Schema as the menu is labelled), is inherited by ALL device classes and devices.

That said, it is actually very easy to define new properties.  From the INFRASTRUCTURE menu, select the top-level Devices and click the DETAILS link at the top of the lefthand menu.  Select Custom Schema in the lefthand menu and you can see any defined custom properties and add new ones.  If you go to the Custom Schema menu anywhere else in the INFRASTRUCTURE hierarchy then you can see custom properties but not add new ones.  The custom property can be modified at the deviceClass or at the individual device level.

Cheers,
Jane

James Smith
2013-03-13 02:07:54 UTC
James Smith [http://community.zenoss.org/people/flyingfish007] created the discussion

"Re: About the custom properties"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72384#72384

Thanks!
About custom properties, I can add one at the top-level Devices. For a device class, there is a delete label. But if I select a custom property and then click the delete label. At last, it is wrong. The pictures can show more details. What happens or how can I delete a selected property for a device class not at the top-level Devices?

Thanks again!

---
James

jcurry
2013-03-13 14:36:06 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: About the custom properties"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72393#72393

I know the GUI apparently seems to let you delete a custom property at the device class level but, in practise, you can only actually delete them at the the top /Devices level.  Anywhere else, you get an error as you saw.  I guess it is a bug really to offer a delete option at the device class level.

So, for adding or deleting, you can only manipulate custom properties at the top level for ALL devices.

Cheers,
Jane