Zenoss Core 3.2 to 4.2 Migration
Yasha Zislin
2013-01-07 18:58:55 UTC
Yasha Zislin [http://community.zenoss.org/people/yzislin] created the discussion

"Zenoss Core 3.2 to 4.2 Migration"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70844#70844

I have managed to install Zenoss 4.2 on fresh CentOS 6 64 bit instance.
My previous instance is Zenoss 3.2.1 on CentOS 5 32 bit instance.

What is the best way to migrate my data (ie objects, perf data, events)?

I know there is a tool called zenbackup and zenrestore but would it work in my scenario since I am going from 32bit to 64bit? also I've heard that events database has changed so it might be hard to migrate events.

Thank you very much.

Andrew Kirch
2013-01-07 19:22:52 UTC
Andrew Kirch [http://community.zenoss.org/people/akirch] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss Core 3.2 to 4.2 Migration"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70848#70848

Yasha,

These instructions are on our wiki:

http://wiki.zenoss.org/Upgrading_Zenoss http://wiki.zenoss.org/Upgrading_Zenoss

While you're there, take a look around,  set up an account, and add yourself to the usermap.

Andrew Kirch
Community Manger
Zenoss

Yasha Zislin
2013-01-23 22:35:18 UTC
Yasha Zislin [http://community.zenoss.org/people/yzislin] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss Core 3.2 to 4.2 Migration"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71187#71187

I have created a new VM of Zenoss 4.2 and trying to migrate data from 3.2 box to this one.

The instructions have in place upgrade information.

Is there any documentation how to backup 3.2 data and restore it on 4.2 zenoss instance?

Thank you.

2013-01-24 13:44:28 UTC

"Re: Zenoss Core 3.2 to 4.2 Migration"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71201#71201

As far as I know, Zenoss has never supported restoring a backup to a different version, so the *only* upgrades that are supported are in place upgrades. So you'd need to create a VM of 3.2, restore the data there, and then do the upgrade.

That said, with the major changes in 4.2, I personally plan to just start over cleanly - but I only have 150 devices monitored...

One suggestion might be to zendevicedump and then zendevice load on the new one, and some DMD magic for transforms - but so much changed in the event management that I don't know if straight up loading in the transforms would make sense. Also, the event database isn't migrated in an in-place upgrade so that's right out.