Recover or Install Root Device Class
sconos
2012-03-07 13:10:32 UTC
sconos [http://community.zenoss.org/people/sconos] created the discussion

"Recover or Install Root Device Class"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65030#65030

Hi All,

I screwed up ... bad ...

Over tasked I was doing some maintenace in Zenoss along with to many other things at the same time and I deleted the Root class of \Network\Switch along with 218 discovered switches.  The switches would be easy as I have them all in an import file, but I don't know if there is a way to recover or re-install that specific Root Device Class.

I'm running Zenoss 3.0.1 - not sure if this is the best time to upgrade to 3.2 (if that would also recover this Device Class as part of the upgrade.

Hat in hand, this was a straight chair and keyboard problem .. any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA  Mike

2012-03-07 13:16:27 UTC

"Re: Recover or Install Root Device Class"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65031#65031

Well, do you have a backup? That said, I don't think there's anything specific to the /Network/Switch class - no default templates stored there that I know of. You can probably manually re-create it, import the switches and re-bind any custom template bindings you have and off you go.

If you have a backup, you can try restoring that. If not, start doing backups, but you can probably install the same version of Zenoss on another server, zenpackify the device class and install that as well. I'd consider my first paragraph solution first though :p .

sconos
2012-03-07 14:39:58 UTC
sconos [http://community.zenoss.org/people/sconos] created the discussion

"Re: Recover or Install Root Device Class"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65033#65033

James,

Thanks for the quick reply.  My backups are a few weeks old and I don't trust them.  I was just afraid that there were some specific Monitoring Templates that would need to be created\imported for this class and I don't have another zenoss box to confirm that.

I manually created the /Network/Switch device class, did a test discovery of a single switch and it looks like everything is there, already have the Network discovery running for all my original discovered hosts for that class.

thanks again for the quick reply .. I was a little jumpy on this one .. again, my fault.

Regards,  Mike