Custom MIBS
Yasha Zislin
2012-01-25 22:15:48 UTC
Yasha Zislin [http://community.zenoss.org/people/yzislin] created the discussion

"Custom MIBS"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63919#63919

I have loaded a custom MIB into Zenoss but when SNMP traps arrive Zenoss doesnt print the description. It displays the OID of the trap.
I've checked in the MIB that the trap exists.
It feels like this MIB didnt get loaded completely.

Thanks.

dpetzel
2012-01-26 02:34:50 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Custom MIBS"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63925#63925

I don't have any immediate ideas, but a little more info might invoke answers from someone that knows more about custom MIBS than I.

What version of Zenoss, which OS? Assuming you loaded the MIBS using the zenmib command? or did you take some other steps? Is there any output from the mibload (good or bad)? Have you tried loading the mib again (in case it did silently for some reason the 1st time)

Sorry to not be more helpful, but shy of someone else having the same experience a little more information might invoke some ideas.

jcurry
2012-01-26 11:28:31 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Custom MIBS"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63907#63907

As dpetzel syas, do provide us with a little more info.

Mib loading is one of the flakiest parts of Zenoss IMHO.  Check on the Mibs page in the GUI - do you ACTUALLY have nodes and traps/notifications loaded - you should see numbers for each.

Mibs are a bit of a black art whatever your management system.  If you look at the source file, there is usually an IMPORTS section near the top whichare pre-requisites for loading a Mib.  If you have an enterprise specific Mib, it may have all sorts of pre-reqs from both standard mibs like SNMPv2-SMI, RFC1213, .... and pre-reqs from other enterprise specific mibs - which may themselves have pre-reqs.  You need to get all the prereqs loaded up first, in the right order, before you actually get your mib loaded successfully.

I always do mib loading through the command line rather than the GUI because then you do at least see failure messages.  Copy your mib source file to $ZENHOME/../common/share/mibs/site (I have a feeling that this directory may vary slightly depending on your architecture and Zenoss version - dig around until you find a mibs directory that has subdirs for ietf, site and 2-or-3 others). As the zenoss user, I use
zenmib run -v 10 <mib to load>

Even if you have pre-reqs loaded, I have found that sometimes you need to specify pre-reqs on the zenmib line so if you are still having problems loading mib C, having already loaded Mibs A and B, then try:
zenmib run -v 10 A B C

Cheers,
Jane

Yasha Zislin
2012-01-26 16:20:41 UTC
Yasha Zislin [http://community.zenoss.org/people/yzislin] created the discussion

"Re: Custom MIBS"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63943#63943

I have zenoss 3.2.1 running as a VM appliance.
After an import I see the MIB loaded in the MIB organizer.

I've tried loading it through command line and through the interface.

It says it was loaded successfully.

I dont think it requires specific pre-reqs because it is using unique OID for this particular vendor.

THe SNMP trap that comes in as OID. I was able to find it in the GUI in the MIB organizer that particular trap.

jcurry
2012-01-26 16:30:43 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Custom MIBS"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63944#63944

What MIB are you trying to load?
Cheers,
Jane

Yasha Zislin
2012-01-26 16:40:01 UTC
Yasha Zislin [http://community.zenoss.org/people/yzislin] created the discussion

"Re: Custom MIBS"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63945#63945

It's for this appliance called Websense.

mwcotton
2012-01-26 21:43:30 UTC
mwcotton [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mwcotton] created the discussion

"Re: Custom MIBS"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63937#63937

From my experiance many mibs release by manufacturers dont work and arent tested.
I suggested downloading a "mib browser" and loading the mib into it, just as a test to make sure its valid.

like this: http://www.manageengine.com/products/mibbrowser-free-tool/index.html http://www.manageengine.com/products/mibbrowser-free-tool/index.html

Yasha Zislin
2012-01-27 00:35:58 UTC
Yasha Zislin [http://community.zenoss.org/people/yzislin] created the discussion

"Re: Custom MIBS"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63958#63958

I tried using this mib browser and it loads just fine.

I also see it in MIBs section in Zenoss. So it seems that it loaded into the Zenoss just not working properly or something.

mwcotton
2012-01-27 22:00:05 UTC
mwcotton [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mwcotton] created the discussion

"Re: Custom MIBS"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63965#63965

post an example of what one of your traps look like on the event list.

Yasha Zislin
2012-01-27 22:05:23 UTC
Yasha Zislin [http://community.zenoss.org/people/yzislin] created the discussion

"Re: Custom MIBS"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63966#63966

snmp trap 1.3.6.1.4.1.23365.10000.0.1001
but it supposed to be
memMaxUsageExceed

as that's what it shows in MIB browser in Zenoss in traps section for this MIB.

mwcotton
2012-01-28 01:04:50 UTC
mwcotton [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mwcotton] created the discussion

"Re: Custom MIBS"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63980#63980

I am at a loss, when you loaded the mib did you get any errors ? Like other mibs missing?

Yasha Zislin
2012-01-30 21:16:48 UTC
Yasha Zislin [http://community.zenoss.org/people/yzislin] created the discussion

"Re: Custom MIBS"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64008#64008

I did not get any errors while importing the mib. It loaded just fine. It shows in zenoss just fine as well.

The problem is that description of the traps dont get displayed as they come in. It shows OID numbers instead.

It feels like it is not using the MIB or something.

Does that make sense?

Thanks.

mwcotton
2012-01-30 21:49:59 UTC
mwcotton [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mwcotton] created the discussion

"Re: Custom MIBS"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64012#64012

Yes, I understand your issue.
I have seen it but usually its caused by a bad mib or when loading the mib some other mibs it depends on is missing.
I am assuming you have restarted zenoss since this problem began

Yasha Zislin
2012-01-30 21:54:45 UTC
Yasha Zislin [http://community.zenoss.org/people/yzislin] created the discussion

"Re: Custom MIBS"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64014#64014

Yes, I have restarted zenoss service and the box itself.
I wonder if any of the imported MIBs work. Do you know if there is a way to test imported MIB?
I mean import some MIB generate an event and see if it works.

jcurry
2012-01-30 21:57:34 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Custom MIBS"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64016#64016

If you have some standard Linux boxes with net-snmp, import the net-snmp MIB and you should see translated enterprise-specific traps when you stop / start the snmpd agent.

In my experience, most of these do work.

Cheers,
Jane