Monitoring previously unknown devices...
robegan99
2012-10-15 22:29:35 UTC
robegan99 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/robegan99] created the discussion

"Monitoring previously unknown devices..."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69224#69224

Hi!

I'm definitely a newbie with Zenoss Core 4.2, but I'm trying to figure out the best use of my time to learn how to do the following:

I have some SNMP enabled power distribution units running in my datacenter, and I need to be able to monitor them with Zenoss. The devices come complete with a Mib and a description of the OID tree. I was able to get the Mib imported into Zenoss via "zenmib run ...etc" and can see the Mib and OID tree in the Advanced tab, etc. But, when I add one of the PDU devices to Zenoss and have it modeled, it only sees the network interfaces, has no other components, and creates no graphs.

Is there any short version of the docs that I can read to know exactly what I need to add in order to make Zenoss associate all of the other Mibs with that device and create graphs for the data? Obviously, the simple answer is to read all of the docs and learn all there is to know about Zenoss. But, if I were in a hurry to get this up and running for one device, what would be the short lists of subjects that I need to understand?

dpetzel
2012-10-16 00:25:44 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Monitoring previously unknown devices..."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69218#69218

You don't mention the make or model of the PDUs, but the short answer to your question probably lies in http://community.zenoss.org/community/zenpacks http://community.zenoss.org/community/zenpacks.

MIBS are not used to discover things about devices, but instead are used to translate traps. So if you configured your PDU to use a destination or trapsink of your zenoss server, loading the MIBS allows Zenoss to translate the incoming events.

What you likely need is a ZenPack specific to the make/model of your PDU. Using the link above see if you can find one. Following the link on that page, should bring you to a page that will be more specific to what the pack itself does.

Hope that helps.

robegan99
2012-10-16 00:47:31 UTC
robegan99 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/robegan99] created the discussion

"Re: Monitoring previously unknown devices..."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69225#69225

Thanks for the reply. The devices are Server Technology Sentry Smart CDUs. And I did in fact find a ZenPack at the link you provided. Unfortunately, it was in the Untested, Depricated, Legacy section. I have a feeling I am going to have to look into creating my own ZenPack for these. I would imagine that entails creating Devices, Performance templates, Monitoring templates, and Graph templates, among other things. I was just curious if there was a way to learn this quickly without having to go A to Z with the Zenoss documentation.

dpetzel
2012-10-16 00:49:43 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Monitoring previously unknown devices..."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69236#69236

Sadly not so much. Once you cross that bridge into ZenPack developments, you need a solid foundation. I would recommend that you locate Jane Curry's paper on ZenPack developments. Its an amazing resource for a new would-be zenpack developer.

nilie
2012-10-16 13:37:22 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: Monitoring previously unknown devices..."

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69242#69242

My advice is to start with small steps. Try creating a template first, let's say for some sort of parameter you want to monitor, like a voltage (since you're saying it is a PDU). Doing this, you don't have to read the whole documentation (just reading the relevant section will be enough for now) and you will pretty soon get results and at the same time improve your knowledge of Zenoss.