Enabled flag in Alerting Rules not working
joanypony
2012-03-07 13:43:49 UTC
joanypony [http://community.zenoss.org/people/joanypony] created the discussion

"Enabled flag in Alerting Rules not working"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65036#65036

I'm using Zenoss 3.2.1. I've set up several alerting rules but just for testing. Once I had verified that I could get alerts emails, I wanted to disable the alerting rules until I had fine tuned my setup. I didn't want to delete the rules as I'd set up some useful schedules.
I went to

  http://zenoss01lon.eu.askjeeves.info:8080/zport/dmd/ZenUsers ZenUsers >  http://zenoss01lon.eu.askjeeves.info:8080/zport/dmd/ZenUsers/jocallaghan jocallaghan >  http://zenoss01lon.eu.askjeeves.info:8080/zport/dmd/ZenUsers/jocallaghan/editActionRules Alerting Rules >  http://zenoss01lon.eu.askjeeves.info:8080/zport/dmd/ZenUsers/jocallaghan/Escalation Escalation  , set the "Enabled" flag to false, and saved. I still continued to receive emails.

How do I get this change to be applied? Do I have to restart the application or something?

Also, off topic, but is there a way to see the Zenoss log through the web interface? So far, I've only found the Jobs log...

Regards,
Joan

2012-03-07 13:50:22 UTC

"Re: Enabled flag in Alerting Rules not working"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65032#65032

If you have no active alerting rules, I believe you get all alerts... So maybe make one rule active that doesn't match anything?

joanypony
2012-03-07 14:44:20 UTC
joanypony [http://community.zenoss.org/people/joanypony] created the discussion

"Re: Enabled flag in Alerting Rules not working"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65040#65040

Hi James,
Thanks for that. I tested it by reenabling one alert to only send really specific events and reenabled "repeat time" on a very verbose alert and so far, it's working great. Thanks so much!

Regards,
Joan

kotique
2012-05-10 09:34:20 UTC
kotique [http://community.zenoss.org/people/kotique] created the discussion

"Re: Enabled flag in Alerting Rules not working"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/66303#66303

Same here, we're on 3.1.0. We've got a lot of alerting rules for an user and some of them have schedules applied. Now I disable a specific rule by setting its "Enabled" option to "False". Guess what happens. It switches to "disabled" state, but in 1-2 days it magically gets back to "Enabled". This isn't what we want.
What we want is the "enabled" flag being "sticky". If a rule was disabled by sysadmin, it should stay there, not flip flop to other state.

Thanks.

2012-05-10 13:52:30 UTC

"Re: Enabled flag in Alerting Rules not working"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/66305#66305

Sounds like a feature request to me. Basically these sorts of things (schedules and maintenance windows) aren't "sticky" - there's no metadata about *what* set them how they are, just what they are set to. So processes that change that state will always change that state.