Monitor a Device with multiple collector?
kelvinlo
2011-11-20 16:01:54 UTC
kelvinlo [http://community.zenoss.org/people/kelvinlo] created the discussion

"Monitor a Device with multiple collector?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62689#62689

Dear All,

I have setup the Distributed Collector, however it's possible to have same device but monitor with multiple collector? Since I have a critial server and I want to monitor it by different datacenter in same time.

Regards,
Kelvin Lo

dpetzel
2011-11-20 20:22:52 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Monitor a Device with multiple collector?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62690#62690

I'm not aware of the ability to have multiple collectors watching the same device, however what you might be abl to do to too 'fool' Zenoss into letting you do this is to assign a 2nd IP address to the server, register a unique DNS name to that secondary IP and then add a new device using the secondary IP on a different collector.

A total hack for sure, but I can't think of any othe rway to do it (others might have a more elegant solution however)

Shane Scott
2011-11-20 20:29:58 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Monitor a Device with multiple collector?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62723#62723

kelvinlo:

What I would do is add the device a second time using a diffent IP address. You'll need to make sure the existing instance hasn't claimed that address on one of the interfaces. If it has, find the interface and delete it. Next readd the copy device as a new name using the alternative ip. Set each device to the respective collectors. Remodel both.

Best,
--Shane (Hackman238)