Ping monitoring sometimes failing
ianw1974
2012-10-11 12:02:01 UTC
ianw1974 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ianw1974] created the discussion

"Ping monitoring sometimes failing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69003#69003

We're having problems with a device which says /Status/Ping device is down.  However, when we ping the device from the server, it replies.  Why is Zenoss saying it is down, when it clearly is not?

ianw1974
2012-10-11 12:10:47 UTC
ianw1974 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ianw1974] created the discussion

"Re: Ping monitoring sometimes failing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69004#69004

Incidently, a restart of zenping daemon and the device is now OK.  Unfortunately this is not an ideal fix, but need to find out why it intermittently has problems.

Any ideas?

2012-10-11 12:12:54 UTC

"Re: Ping monitoring sometimes failing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69005#69005

Have you looked at the http://lmgtfy.com/?q=zenoss+ping+down forums history where this is discussed at least 50 times?

ianw1974
2012-10-11 12:20:01 UTC
ianw1974 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ianw1974] created the discussion

"Re: Ping monitoring sometimes failing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69006#69006

Yeah, and there isn't a solution, or at least I haven't found one.

But thanks for pointing out discussions which don't have a solution.  That was very helpful of you.

2012-10-11 12:24:56 UTC

"Re: Ping monitoring sometimes failing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69007#69007

Ok, may I remind you of:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

I didn't know you had seen those discussions. The usual fix is to get the firewall blocking the custom ICMP packets Zenoss sends out of the way via appropriate configuration of the Firewall. If that's not the issue, then have you done a packet capture? Is Zenoss getting a response from the zenping attempts? What version of Zenoss? 4.2 changed how Zenoss is doing pings, etc ...

We can't read your mind,nor am I psychic and know your network, software environment etc...

ianw1974
2012-10-11 12:29:29 UTC
ianw1974 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ianw1974] created the discussion

"Re: Ping monitoring sometimes failing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69008#69008

Zenoss 3.2.1 because Zenoss 4.x does not support Debian platform.

As I said, ping is working from the console, and zenping is working, but from time to time it's failing, as I stated in my original post.  Restarting zenping solved the problem, but that only solves it intermittently.

If it was a network problem, then my ping would be failing all the time, wouldn't it?

2012-10-11 12:33:58 UTC

"Re: Ping monitoring sometimes failing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69009#69009

I believe the Zenoss bug in v3.2.1 that occasionally causes the issue you're seeing is the one they tried to address in v4.x. Whether it's totally fixed in v4 is not obvious to me - I didn't have it in v3...

Sadly, there isn't likely to be a resolution to the intermittent bug in the v3 line - the effort is in improving v4, and the advice is to upgrade to v4. Zenoss Inc kind of screwed people here by making it RHEL only right now, but I am aware of efforts @ Zenoss to get a v4 build working on Debian, but as usual, who knows exactly when.

ianw1974
2012-10-11 12:39:01 UTC
ianw1974 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ianw1974] created the discussion

"Re: Ping monitoring sometimes failing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69010#69010

OK thanks for the info.

Effectively then we will need to look at upgrading to version 4.x.  Mostly we are a Debian-house, but if there is unlikely to be a Debian release, then we'll need to make a RHEL/CentOS install in a bid to solve the problem.

Zombie Process
2012-12-27 16:53:56 UTC
Zombie Process [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Zombie_Process] created the discussion

"Re: Ping monitoring sometimes failing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70719#70719

As a data point, after upgrading from 2.x to 4.2, I'm getting flooded with alerts that my /ping devices are OOS.  None of them are.  So, no, at least IME, this doesn't appear to be solved by the 4.2 release.

I've gone so far as to setup console monitors that ping the devices from the zenoss host using 1470 byte no-frag packets, and I'm not dropping anything.  No firewall.  This is the same box, other than some upgraded disks, that was running flawlessly using 2.x.  So far, upgrading to 4.2 seems to have been a mistake in my environment - I may have to bite the bullet and re-downgrade to 2.x.

Zombie Process
2012-12-27 19:03:16 UTC
Zombie Process [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Zombie_Process] created the discussion

"Re: Ping monitoring sometimes failing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70736#70736

Well, I seriously have no idea what the issue could be.  Somehow zenoss isn't hearing replies to a large number of the ping probes it sends out using its secret sauce ping.  I see *zero* packet loss with standard icmp probes.  For grins, I've even tried using 0 byte packets, since that's apparently what zenoss uses, and I still get no loss.

I'm apparently going to have to roll back to zenoss 2.  Reports in zenoss 4.2 are unusable, and the frequency of /ping HOST DOWN alerts makes it even more likely to be totally ignored as a data source.  I'm sure I'm the one doing something wrong since I have only seen a single other complaint about reports, but as it stands, 4.2 is unsuitable for my very modest requirements where as 2.x worked very well for years.  I may see how 3.x works.

Andrew Kirch
2013-01-02 16:44:41 UTC
Andrew Kirch [http://community.zenoss.org/people/akirch] created the discussion

"Re: Ping monitoring sometimes failing"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70764#70764

Guys,

Just an FYI we're expecting to provide Core support  for Debian and Gentoo via .deb's before the end of Q1.  I'm hopeful that we might have it done by the end of January.