Zenoss Upgrade 4.2.0 => 4.2.4
jcurry
2013-10-25 12:41:05 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss Upgrade 4.2.0 => 4.2.4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/75079#75079

Command templates and modeler plugins (you may have both) depend on using ssh to authenticate to the target system.  You have two options - either use userid and password or you can use public-key encryption files (by default found in ~/.ssh/id_dsa .

You may use the same user and password/dsa keys for all target systems or each one may have unique authentication.

Zenoss provides Configuration Properties (used to be known as zProperties) for zCommandUsername, zCommandPassword and zKeyPath.  You can set these at a device class level (navigate to the device class in the left-hand menu and then use the DETAILS button at the top of the left-hand menu).  You will then see a Configuration properties menu for the device class.  Any sub device classes under this one will inherit these properties, as will any devices.  The values can be overriden further down the device class tree or at the specific device.  To change for a specific device, navigate to the main page for that device and again you have "Configuration properties" in the left-hand menu.

Once you have the correct authentication parameters for each device, both modelers and templates should run successfully.

I use zencommand run -v 10 -d <device name> to check all modelers and templates for a particular device - the -v 10 provides verbose output.

Cheers,
Jane

Mouhammed Soueidane
2013-10-28 08:37:48 UTC
Mouhammed Soueidane [http://community.zenoss.org/people/raziology] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss Upgrade 4.2.0 => 4.2.4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/75103#75103

Thanks  a ton jcurry. Now I have a better understanding of a few stuff. Frankly, I don't need ZenModeler to run any of the modelers, so I ended up removing all of them. But then again, what do you think was the cause for this particular event:
component=zenmodeler, EventClass=/Cmd/Fail and the summary=User timeout caused connection failure. If I try to close those events, they get generated again .

jcurry
2013-10-28 18:12:18 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss Upgrade 4.2.0 => 4.2.4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/75107#75107

zenmodeler is obviously still trying to run some command modelers.

Have a look at $ZENHOME/log/zenmodeler.log - that should show you which devices are failing on what modeler plugins.

Which device is associated with those zenmodeler /Cmd/Fail events?  Is the resource the Zenoss server itself or is it the device that it is trying to model?   If it is the latter (target device) then run zenmodeler in dbug mode against that device, from a command line, as the zenoss user:

zenmodeler run -v 10 -d <name that Zenoss knows the device by>

Look at the output carefully for these command failures.

Cheers,
Jane

Mouhammed Soueidane
2013-10-29 10:03:27 UTC
Mouhammed Soueidane [http://community.zenoss.org/people/raziology] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss Upgrade 4.2.0 => 4.2.4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/75111#75111

Thanks a ton Jane, you're always a great help =)

I did the following:
1- Checking the ZenModeler log file under /opt/zenoss/log/zenmodeler.log
2- The following is an extract from the logs for  my device ROUTDA21:

2013-10-27 08:15:27,582 INFO zen.ZenModeler: SNMP monitoring off for ROUTDA21
2013-10-27 08:15:27,586 INFO zen.ZenModeler: No portscan plugins found for ROUTDA21
*2013-10-27 08:15:37,582 ERROR zen.SshClient: 10.10.10.198 User timeout caused connection failure.*
2013-10-27 08:15:37,582 INFO zen.CmdClient: command client finished collection for ROUTDA21
2013-10-27 08:15:37,582 INFO zen.ZenModeler: No change in configuration detected

What I did to fix the problem was deleting the local copy of the "Modeler Plugins" list at the /Server device class level and another one at the level of /Server/Linux. Now I don't see this error anymore =)

Note that this event was only generated for devices that have their IP(manageIP) field set.

Thanks a ton for the great help Jane.

Best,
Mouhammed Soueidane

jcurry
2013-10-29 12:42:43 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss Upgrade 4.2.0 => 4.2.4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/75115#75115

Don't forget that performance templates and modeler plugins are inherited down the device class hierarchy.  They can be overriden at any level down that tree hierarchy, including on a device itself.

Not sure I quite follow what you have done - I do hope you haven't deleted all the modeler plugins from the /Server and the /Server/Linux levels?  If so, you have probably stopped all server modelling.

Hopefully what you did was to find that there were modeler plugins applied at this level that used ssh (these modelers all start zenoss.cmd), and removed those from the modeler plugins list.  These zenoss.cmd....... plugins are NOT applied to /Server and /Zerver/Linux by default - zenoss.snmp..... ones are.

If your issue was just with one or two devices, rather than overriding plugins at a class level, I would override at the specific device level ie. go to the device's home page and use the Modeler Plugins left-hand menu to remove the offending plugins, just for that device.

Cheers,
Jane

Mouhammed Soueidane
2013-10-29 13:35:37 UTC
Mouhammed Soueidane [http://community.zenoss.org/people/raziology] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss Upgrade 4.2.0 => 4.2.4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/75116#75116

What I did was the following:
1- In the "Infrastructure" page, I clicked on the /Devices node, and then on "Details", then went to the "Modeler Plugins" and removed all the plugins at that level.
2- I did the same for /Server and /Server/Linux device classes

The reason why I removed all the modelers is mainly 'cause I don't need any of them. I use Zenoss in a very "unconventional" way. I don't rely on any modelers to collect my devices' information. What I do is:
1- I receive different device information through a web service, where they get stored in a local database
2- A Java application pulls the devices' information from the local database, and uses some Zendmd python scripts to set the devices' information ( IP address, device location, location address...

Now that you have an idea about how I normally use Zenoss, do you think that I would have a problem after removing all the modeler plugins?

jcurry
2013-10-29 14:07:17 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss Upgrade 4.2.0 => 4.2.4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/75117#75117

You should be OK provided you dont want any modelers - and that's what you are telling me.

Your solution is a little bit drastic if you ever want to reintroduce modelling but for what you have now, you should be fine.

Cheers,
Jane

Mouhammed Soueidane
2013-10-29 15:16:15 UTC
Mouhammed Soueidane [http://community.zenoss.org/people/raziology] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss Upgrade 4.2.0 => 4.2.4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/75118#75118

Thanks again Jane, I will let you know if I have introduced any unwanted problems =)

Best,
Mouhammed Soueidane