Upgrade from 3.1 to 3.2.1 - smooth?
handsy
2011-11-18 14:52:15 UTC
handsy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/handsy] created the discussion

"Upgrade from 3.1 to 3.2.1 - smooth?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62685#62685

Is an upgrade from 3.1 to 3.2.1 trouble-free? i.e. can I just do an +apt-get upgrade+ on my Ubuntu server, and it'll just work?

I've spent a lot of time getting my zenoss installation working, and I don't want it to break :)

Thanks

dpetzel
2011-11-18 15:14:12 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 3.1 to 3.2.1 - smooth?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62687#62687

Make sure you backup before you attempt to upgrade.

I recently updated from 3.1 to 3.2.1 on a few non production boxes (production happening soon). I'm running on RHEL so for me it was an RPM install, but it went smooth enough that I'm planning on production as soon as I get some time.

Shane Scott
2011-11-18 18:44:53 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 3.1 to 3.2.1 - smooth?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62713#62713

Handsy:

I second dpetzel. Smooth upgrade, no serious complications. Always do a backup as noted. A good way to backup is to zeopack and tar czvf zenoss.backup.tar.gz zenoss --exclude=*.rrd --exclude=Data.fs.old. This will back up the zenoss structure and ZODB but not the rrd files which aren't affected during upgrade.

Best,
--Shane (Hackman238)

handsy
2011-11-21 08:43:35 UTC
handsy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/handsy] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 3.1 to 3.2.1 - smooth?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62726#62726

I have run a backup from within zenoss itself. n00b question! Where does it store that backup?

Also, when I perform the upgrade, will I need to restore from my backup or should zenoss sort itself out immediately?

Thanks

Shane Scott
2011-11-22 18:28:44 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 3.1 to 3.2.1 - smooth?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62783#62783

handsy:

$ZENHOME/backup

--Shane (Hackman238)

Luca Maranzano
2011-11-23 11:13:46 UTC
Luca Maranzano [http://community.zenoss.org/people/liuk] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 3.1 to 3.2.1 - smooth?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62767#62767

My experience upgrading from 3.1 has not been so lucky, we are having trouble with zenprocess which detects some processes as down while they are actually running (Unix server monitored via SNMP).

I've posted on the forum yesterday about this issue and I've seen other similar post, but til now no solution.

HTH,
Luca