Need to update evt.ipAddress filed
jcurry
2013-03-12 09:16:03 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Need to update evt.ipAddress filed"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72349#72349

Hi Gowrish,
You don't say what version of Zenoss your are on - is this 4.2.3???
The evt/ipAddress is aprt of "device context".  There is currently a bug in 4.2.3 whereby if you update the evt.device field then Zenoss is SUPPOSED to look up the other device context fields (group, location, etc) in the database, but it ACTUALLY clears all these fields and leaves them blank.  The bug is documented here - http://jira.zenoss.com/jira/browse/ZEN-4883 http://jira.zenoss.com/jira/browse/ZEN-4883 .  It is supposed to be fixed by engineering but has not yet been released generally.

I suspect that this is what is causing your problem.

Can you get around it be creating your own event field - something like:
evt.MyIpAddress= "%s" % (ipAddress)

Cheers,
Jane

Gowrish SS
2013-03-12 11:50:08 UTC
Gowrish SS [http://community.zenoss.org/people/gowrish.ec] created the discussion

"Re: Need to update evt.ipAddress filed"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72357#72357

Hi Jane,

Thank you for your reply, we using zenoss 4.1.1 is that same in this version as well..

jcurry
2013-03-12 11:57:33 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Need to update evt.ipAddress filed"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72352#72352

Almost certainly the same in any 4.x.  Check and see whether you have any entries under the Device State heading in the event detail.  My experience is that once you have changed evt.device, all the fields in that section are blanked out and not repopulated (DeviceClass, System, Location, ipAddress, ...).  The only one that does seem to still be populated is monitor.
Cheers,
Jane

Gowrish SS
2013-03-12 12:02:00 UTC
Gowrish SS [http://community.zenoss.org/people/gowrish.ec] created the discussion

"Re: Need to update evt.ipAddress filed"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72358#72358

Hi Jane,

Yes you are right all the other fileds are blank once the device name is updated, I hope there is no other way to workaound this other having customized fileds.

Thanks a lot for your help..please let me know in case you find any solution for the same..:) cheers...