New install - ubuntu version recommendations?
curruscanis
2012-01-04 17:53:21 UTC
curruscanis [http://community.zenoss.org/people/curruscanis] created the discussion

"New install - ubuntu version recommendations?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63540#63540

I am thinking of rebuilding my existing Zenoss systems and would like some recommendations for a future rebuild.

I have and existing Zenoss 3.2.1 system installed on an Ubuntu 8.04 server.  I run my Zenoss system in a virtual server on a VMware ESX cluster.  I am happy with the system in a virtual environment and seem to run very well with appropriate memory and cpu allocated.  I am monitoring approximately 100 devices, approximately 30 firewall / router / switch networking devices monitored with SNMP, approximately 65 Microsoft devices monitored with WMI, and approximately 5 Linux server devices.

For my rebuild I think that I should use an updated version of Ubuntu but I wanted to check with the community to determine what is a recommended version for stability and ease of use.  I prefer Ubuntu as I am not a big Linux user and it is easy to find help with Ubuntu.  I have always used the "Native Stacks" method for installing and updating my Zenoss systems.

Any advice would be helpful.  Thank you!

2012-01-04 19:16:03 UTC

"Re: New install - ubuntu version recommendations?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63542#63542

I'm not sure there's an official answer, but my personal suggestion is to use CENTOS5 and the native RPMs. I understand Zenoss is developed on CENTOS (Well, RHEL) and most commercial customers are running it. I'm running a deravitive of RHEL (SL5) and it works very well.