Interface Status needs Admin/Oper state
terrys
2012-02-14 13:59:07 UTC
terrys [http://community.zenoss.org/people/terrys] created the discussion

"Interface Status needs Admin/Oper state"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64532#64532

The Interfaces viewer for a device should show both the Admin and Oper state. Today, I have an interface that was taken down last night during a scheduled change and Zenoss is currently showing it as Up. So is it Admin Up and Oper down? I can't tell from the Zenoss display.
  -Terry

nilie
2012-02-14 19:17:19 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: Interface Status needs Admin/Oper state"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64523#64523

* Version of Zenoss you're using ?
* Screenshot (optionally but helpful) ?

terrys
2012-02-14 19:33:48 UTC
terrys [http://community.zenoss.org/people/terrys] created the discussion

"Re: Interface Status needs Admin/Oper state"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64537#64537

Version 3.0.

nilie
2012-02-15 15:52:20 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: Interface Status needs Admin/Oper state"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64545#64545

Due to an unfortunate design decision, in Zenoss versions 3.1 and earlier, what you see displayed as interface status is the interface operational status *when the device was modeled for the last time, not its actual status*. This means the green light will not change until the next modeling of the device. Also, the unknown value is absurd because there is no such status for an interface, at least from snmp point of view it can be either up or down.
They say this has been changed in Zenoss v3.2 but I can't confirm since I decided to skip this version after reading on this forum about numerous problems other people have encountered with the upgrading process.
If you want to see the actual status of an interface, the only way is to look at the details of that interface. Somebody also posted on this forum a workaround but I wouldn't recommend it since it will flood your event console with unnecessary events.

terrys
2012-02-15 16:04:06 UTC
terrys [http://community.zenoss.org/people/terrys] created the discussion

"Re: Interface Status needs Admin/Oper state"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64557#64557

Does that mean that in 3.2 and later that the interface status is shown correctly (Admin/Oper) and that the state is collected when performance data is collected (i.e. not at modeling time).
Thanks!