JMX Notification
Bijan Hoomand
2012-11-17 13:05:40 UTC
Bijan Hoomand [http://community.zenoss.org/people/sirbijan] created the discussion

"JMX Notification"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69975#69975

Dear all,

I know a similar thread about JMX notifcation exists here: http://community.zenoss.org/message/29724#29724?tstart=0 http://community.zenoss.org/message/29724?tstart=0
I tried posting in there, but for some bizzare reason I just couldn't.

My question is simple & very painful: Is there any support for JMX Notification in Zenoss Core 4.2? I have no problem working with JMX getting my values and making graphs and stuff, but I really need to get JMX notifications from my custom apps and if it doesn't work, I should change to another NMS ultimately by the push of the management.

I was wondering if any support was added for JMX notification since 2009 (the date of the previous thread on this topic).

Appreciate it,
BJ

j053ph4
2012-11-19 16:58:16 UTC
j053ph4 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/j053ph4] created the discussion

"Re: JMX Notification"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69981#69981

Zenoss Enterprise has (or used to have) JMX Notification support, but I can tell you from experience that it's not as valuable as you think (at least it wasn't in our environment).  It was also "must have" for us at one point as well but we determined later that JMX notifications were not a good solution for us.

Not sure if it's the protocol itself or the Zenoss implementation, but the Notifications seem to rely on "subscriptions" by a persistent client, and if the client loses connectivity then the whole connection has to be reinitialized and everything re-subscribed.  The biggest problem (functionally) was that, due to the persistant nature of the connections, if any connection was interrupted then the daemon had to be recycled...compounded by the fact that disrupted connections weren't reported very well.

I think Zenoss discontinued support for that product as well

Also, when it was working there was a "fire-hose" of mostly useless alerts that weren't all that useful (like windows event log monitoring).

Bottom line was that we found that JMX notifications were not useful "operationally" to our organization.  The folks who would have use for it (developers primarily) would not want to be notified aout the messages anyways.

We got much more mileage out of the JMX query monitoring, where you are polling a specific MBean for numeric values, or even scripts to process text values.

Hehe just looked at the post you mentioned, it was mine from a few years ago...

sirbijan
2012-11-19 18:34:16 UTC
sirbijan [http://community.zenoss.org/people/sirbijan] created the discussion

"Re: JMX Notification"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69982#69982

Thanks http://community.zenoss.org/people/j053ph4 j053ph4
I very much appreciate your reply, experience speaks first in our line of work and you just described that this fancy looking thing ain't that much useful. I believe the subscription part is a part of JMX Notification protocol itself, since you have to subscribe even in JConsole if you want to see the alerts and it's not something Zenoss implies.