Nagios check_snmp
sconos
2012-01-11 12:36:54 UTC
sconos [http://community.zenoss.org/people/sconos] created the discussion

"Nagios check_snmp"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63670#63670

Hi All,

I've got a Nagios script to check for the existence of a route in a routers route table and let me know if it goes away, since its an OSPF injected route this will tell me when a specific gateway has gone down and routes have shifted.

define service {
   use generic-service
   host_name cust1GW
   service_description cust1_to_Site1 100Mb Route
   servicegroups routers
   check_command   check_snmp!-C public -o 1.3.6.1.2.1.4.21.1.7.xx.xx.x.0 -r xx.xx.x.153 -m RFC1213-MIB
   }

I've seen a Nagios Ping ZenPack in the ZenPacks forum, but nothing to impliment the full check_command or check_snmp script structure.

What would be the best way to impliment something like this in Zenoss?   Zenoss Core 3.2.0.

TIA

Mike

2012-01-11 13:27:27 UTC

"Re: Nagios check_snmp"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63675#63675

I'd probably look at command based datasources, and have them run the nagois plugin...

sconos
2012-01-12 18:25:39 UTC
sconos [http://community.zenoss.org/people/sconos] created the discussion

"Re: Nagios check_snmp"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63719#63719

James,

Thanks for the reply, I'm a little fuzzy on exactly what you mean here but I'll give this a try after reading some threads on the subject.

I've installed the nagios 1.4.2 plugin into /usr/local/nagios and I can call the command line for check_snmp from there but I don't know how to make the command script work inside Zenoss .. ie: where would you attach it and what is the variable conventions for zenoss?

Would this be a monitoring template on the specific device (I'm guessing)?

I'll look around some more for any scripting conventions for zenoss.

Any input would be appriciated.

Thanks again for the reply.

Mike

2012-01-12 18:33:02 UTC

"Re: Nagios check_snmp"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63720#63720

Sorry for being inscrutible, but I'm somewhat busy this week. What you need to do is put the executable in $ZENHOME/libexec and then you can call it (I believe with the full path) in a command datasource, which is indeed in a performance template. I'd actually bind it to a device class so you can easily put more than one device in there, but this will only work if the script will accept what device to execute towards. You'll use a TALES expression for zenoss to fill in the actual devices:

so if my command line should be

$ZENHOME/libexec/check_snmp mydevice

you would have the Zenoss command datasource be something *like* (check docs for examples)
$ZENHOME/libexec/check_snmp {dev/ManageIP}

If this makes sense to you.