Getting "Unable to read processes on device x.x.x.x;
Manfred Koroschetz
2011-11-04 22:27:32 UTC
Manfred Koroschetz [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Pluto04] created the discussion

"Getting "Unable to read processes on device x.x.x.x; error: first argument must be string or compiled pattern""

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62442#62442

I am getting this anoying event from all my Linux hosts running "net-snmpd". SNMPWALK works fine and does not give any error.

The count of the event is at one (1) and does not increase! If I aknowledge and clear the event it pop's up within the next couple of minutes.

Zenoss core v.3.2.1 as standard install is our test platform.

Thanks in advance for any hint on how to troubleshoot or resolve the issue.

Manfred Koroschetz

Robert Bell
2011-11-04 22:34:11 UTC
Robert Bell [http://community.zenoss.org/people/wasguru] created the discussion

"Re: Getting "Unable to read processes on device x.x.x.x; error: first argument must be string or compiled pattern""

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62443#62443

I'm having the same issue here. It will do this back and forth for hours and then go away only to start again later. I've had to completely remove process monitors.

Manfred Koroschetz
2011-11-08 20:26:11 UTC
Manfred Koroschetz [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Pluto04] created the discussion

"Re: Getting "Unable to read processes on device x.x.x.x; error: first argument must be string or compiled pattern""

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62517#62517

So far I have not been able to solve the issue, and unfortunately nobody was able to point me in any direction. Could anyone of the experts please give us a hint? Thanks.

Robert Bell
2011-11-08 20:38:38 UTC
Robert Bell [http://community.zenoss.org/people/wasguru] created the discussion

"Re: Getting "Unable to read processes on device x.x.x.x; error: first argument must be string or compiled pattern""

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62518#62518

For me, this was because I deleted the Process monitor but the device still had that monitor listed. After you delete monitor go to each of the devices that was using it and delete it there too.

I hope this is not by design because if you had a large group touching each device individually to remove the process would be a nightmare.

I'm hoping this is a bug  . . .

Manfred Koroschetz
2011-11-09 23:14:10 UTC
Manfred Koroschetz [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Pluto04] created the discussion

"Re: Getting "Unable to read processes on device x.x.x.x; error: first argument must be string or compiled pattern""

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62547#62547

Robert,
today I had some time to work on the issue, and for better or worse it has disappeard. Unfortunately I could not test what you proposed, but it makes perfect sense and might indeed have been what happened.
However I had the Lab server shutdown for a couple of days, and when I started it up, the errors did not appear, and have not appeared in the last several hours.
I am crossing my fingers.
Thanks for your hint. Will test it next time (if it happens again).

Maurice Kevenaar
2011-11-22 08:53:20 UTC
Maurice Kevenaar [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mkevenaar] created the discussion

"Re: Getting "Unable to read processes on device x.x.x.x; error: first argument must be string or compiled pattern""

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62738#62738

I only get this message on the "localhost" machine.

Please help?

2011-11-22 13:01:01 UTC

"Re: Getting "Unable to read processes on device x.x.x.x; error: first argument must be string or compiled pattern""

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62762#62762

Don't use localhost, use the FQDN... Delete and re-add using FQDN.

Maurice Kevenaar
2011-11-22 13:13:18 UTC
Maurice Kevenaar [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mkevenaar] created the discussion

"Re: Getting "Unable to read processes on device x.x.x.x; error: first argument must be string or compiled pattern""

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62764#62764

Hi James,

I Use the FQDN, that's why I used the quotes.

Maurice