Clearing an Event
rickysingh
2012-04-10 19:36:59 UTC
rickysingh [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rickysingh] created the discussion

"Clearing an Event"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65804#65804

Hi guys, is it possible to clear an event with another event?

2012-04-11 11:47:05 UTC

"Re: Clearing an Event"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65800#65800

Yes - in fact this is how events auto clear. Look in the Admin Guide on clear events...

rickysingh
2012-04-11 14:09:14 UTC
rickysingh [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rickysingh] created the discussion

"Re: Clearing an Event"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65821#65821

Hi James, thanks for your response. I looked into the Admin guide as per your suggestion but it seems it doesn't have a clear outline/steps on how to auto clear the events. I don't have a programming background and am strictly a Cisco guy so perhaps I missed it. I will try reading it over again.

Thanks

dpetzel
2012-04-11 23:39:23 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Clearing an Event"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65835#65835

Can you elaborate on the events in question?  Section 7.1.5 of the Admin guide is the section you want: http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-3923#d4e3973 http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-3923#d4e397.Im sure with a little more detail around the events we could get you at an answer.

jcurry
2012-04-12 12:41:02 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Clearing an Event"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65851#65851

The default operation is that any event with a severity of Cleared will close (clear) all other events that have the same eventClass, device and component fields.  Automatic.

You second possibility is that any event class has an event context.  Navigate EVENTS -Event Classes pick an event class and use the lefthand menu to select Configuration Properties.  There are 3 options here (this is what is meant by event context) - zEventAction, zEventClearClasses and zEventSeverity.

If you type in entries in the zEventClearClasses box then, any event of the initial class we are configuring, whose severity is Cleared, will close similar events (as described above) PLUS events of the class specified in this box here, that have the same device and component fields.

When testing, I would strongly recommend closing all previous relevant events to prevent confusions with new test events being added to the repeat count of old ones.  Other than that, you don't need to recycle anything.

Cheers,
Jane