WMIC not working from Zenoss server
jbruyet
2011-11-12 22:26:06 UTC
jbruyet [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jbruyet] created the discussion

"WMIC not working from Zenoss server"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62601#62601

Hey all, I just downloaded Zenoss and I'm going through the Getting Started Guide trying to get things working and I've hit a snag (for what it's worth I'm still figuring out a lot of stuff with Linux too). I have snmpd configured correctly (at least I believe so) on my Linux servers and now I'm working on getting WMI working on my Windows servers. My Windows servers are the ones that I'm stuck on. Page 19 of the guide says to run the following command to test WMI connectivity to the device:

/usr/local/zenoss/common/bin/wmic -U "Domain\admin%Password" //192.168.2.82 "SELECT name FROM Win32_Service

Running this command brings up what looks like a GreaterThanSign command prompt and I have to CTRL-C to get back to the normal command prompt. I've tried replacing "name" with "admin" but no joy. There was another option using a local account but that didn't work either. Googling this error brings up a plethora of responses but nothing that applies to my problem with my Zenoss. To check things I ran the following test sequence:

· In WBEMTEST, hit "Connect..."
· In "Namespace", enter \\machinename\root\cimv2, where machinename represents the name of the remote machine you're trying to connect to.
· Hit "Connect" button
· if that succeeds, hit the "Query" button
· in the query box, enter "select * from win32_Processor" and hit the apply button.
· If that succeeds, you should see at least one row of data that looks something like: "Win32_Processor.DeviceID="CPU0""

THAT all works just fine. Can anyone point me to some documentation that will help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? My primary problem is that While Zenoss can see pretty much everything on my network it's not pulling information into its database. I'm also having problems Authentication problems with SNMP and I'm wondering how can there be authentication problems where there aren't any accounts, just a common community string. I think I'll let WMI simmer for a while and start working on SNMP.

Thanks,

Joe B

dpetzel
2011-11-12 22:30:23 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: WMIC not working from Zenoss server"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62602#62602

/usr/local/zenoss/common/bin/wmic -U "Domain\admin%Password" //192.168.2.82 "SELECT name FROM Win32_Service"

jbruyet
2011-11-16 17:51:33 UTC
jbruyet [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jbruyet] created the discussion

"Re: WMIC not working from Zenoss server"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62629#62629

dpetzel, I can't believe I did something so boneheaded like that. Thanks for spotting it!

Thanks,

Joe B