problem graphing PacketsDroppedPerSec and AcceptedPerSec
me2
2012-02-12 15:11:34 UTC
me2 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/me2] created the discussion

"problem graphing PacketsDroppedPerSec and AcceptedPerSec"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64484#64484

Hello,

1.3.6.1.4.1.2620.1.1.6.0  = packets dropped per second

When I run the test against the data source I get what looks like a valid integer back   7874244

Yet my graph looks like this after changing the data source to DERIVE

My graph is attached. Do I need a RRD equation or somethign tot change the scale to valud number?

I have the same issue with packets accepted per seconf oid =   1.3.6.1.4.1.2620.1.1.4.0

The OS is linux and they happened to be checkpoint splat firewalls.

My other graphs for these are correct.

Ideas? and thank you very much,

Jay

Under graph defintions, manage graph points, do I need some RPN equation?

dpetzel
2012-02-12 15:32:23 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: problem graphing PacketsDroppedPerSec and AcceptedPerSec"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64485#64485

If the returned value is already a rate (not a counter) then change the type to GAUGE. You'll likely need to delete the RRD and let Zenoss recreate after making the change.

me2
2012-02-12 15:39:23 UTC
me2 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/me2] created the discussion

"Re: problem graphing PacketsDroppedPerSec and AcceptedPerSec"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64486#64486

I changed it to a gauge del'ed the files and will see in a couple hrs. If gauge is the default, I started here and got a straight line from lower left to the right always increasing with time.. But lets see in a hr or so.

thanks for responding ~S~

dpetzel
2012-02-12 15:49:52 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: problem graphing PacketsDroppedPerSec and AcceptedPerSec"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64487#64487

If it was originally a guage, and you got the ever increasing straight line, It makes me wonder if the counter is truley packets dropped per second or if its just packets dropped (a counter). It might take some manual snmpget samples to verify what you actually getting back is legit. If the return value is actually a counter, derive was the right choice, and the graph would seem reasonable to me.

me2
2012-02-12 16:02:33 UTC
me2 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/me2] created the discussion

"Re: problem graphing PacketsDroppedPerSec and AcceptedPerSec"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64488#64488

good point because in my googling this oid some refer to it as packets dropped and some as packets per second.

I just ran gets against the device from the console, oh about every 5-20 seconds apart for 2 mins and every integeer returned is larger than the previous.

How would you suggest I proceed if it is packets dropped total, I would like to graph dropped over some time period.

thank you

dpetzel
2012-02-12 16:26:38 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: problem graphing PacketsDroppedPerSec and AcceptedPerSec"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64489#64489

In thats case I think you had everything correct to start with and were just mislead by a bad label on the OID. That value certainly seems to be a counter, so you'll want to use a DERIVE like you had. Your original graph was probably accurate.

me2
2012-02-12 17:15:26 UTC
me2 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/me2] created the discussion

"Re: problem graphing PacketsDroppedPerSec and AcceptedPerSec"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64490#64490

goign back to my original graph and comparing the integer results, the graphs should be in millions of packets dropped per sec....but it is showing 78 or less than 100...

me2
2012-02-13 23:55:19 UTC
me2 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/me2] created the discussion

"Re: problem graphing PacketsDroppedPerSec and AcceptedPerSec"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64515#64515

ok I am looking into it...like before appreciate your input ~S~

Jay