In Zenoss Core 4.2 , Is collector can only installed by Zenpack DistributedCollectors?
cloud stack
2012-10-12 02:40:57 UTC
cloud stack [http://community.zenoss.org/people/cloudstack] created the discussion

"In Zenoss Core 4.2 , Is collector can only installed by Zenpack DistributedCollectors?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69058#69058

Advanced -> Collectors, I only get the possibility to add either a Monitor or a Remote Monitor, is this the same???

jcurry
2012-10-12 08:24:30 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: In Zenoss Core 4.2 , Is collector can only installed by Zenpack DistributedCollectors?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69050#69050

Monitors and Collectors are the same thing.  You will find both terms used in the documentation.  In the code, they are monitors.  The modern word in the documentation is Collectors.

I would suggest that you do use the Distributed Collectors ZenPack if you want multiple collectotrs (though I haven't run it on 4.2 yet - anyone else????).  In theory, you can follow documentation here http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-2496 http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-2496 but it is MUCH easier to deploy and manage remote collectors with Egor's magic ZenPack.

Cheers,
Jane

Ryan Matte
2012-10-12 08:45:10 UTC
Ryan Matte [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rmatte] created the discussion

"Re: In Zenoss Core 4.2 , Is collector can only installed by Zenpack DistributedCollectors?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69053#69053

I'll just point out that that doc that Jane linked to is pretty outdated.  It should still work in theory but a lot has changed in terms of the back end architechture since that was written.  The Distributed Collectors pack is your best bet as it simplifies the process.  Distributed collectors are not officially supported in core which is why that ZenPack was written.

cloud stack
2012-10-15 09:15:45 UTC

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69144#69144

Thanks : http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry jcurry and http://community.zenoss.org/people/rmatte Ryan Matte.

ieldib
2012-10-24 02:19:13 UTC
ieldib [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ieldib] created the discussion

"Re: In Zenoss Core 4.2 , Is collector can only installed by Zenpack DistributedCollectors?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69481#69481

I just went through this. The steps I took where:

deploy collector instance (vm or otherwise)
run autodeploy script

chkconfig rabbitmq-server off
chkconfig snmpd off
chkconfig memcached off
chkconfig mysql off

service rabbitmq-server stop
service snmpd stop
service memcached stop
service mysql stop

setup hub zenoss user ssh keys on  collector vm as per http://community.spiceworks.com/education/projects/Passwordless_SSH_Using_Shared_Keys http://community.spiceworks.com/education/projects/Passwordless_SSH_Using_Shared_Keys

Make sure you install the distributed zenpacks collector: http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-5861 http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-5861

Restart zenoss on hub

After zenoss is done restarting, login goto advanced -> collectors  -> add remote monitor  (and all your remote monitors resolveable hostname or ip)

Afterwards you will need to edit the daemon configs in /opt/zenoss/etc

And I mean all the daemons... all the daemons should point to your hub's ip/resolve hostname in the following line:
#
# Configuration file for zenrender
#
#  To enable a particular option, uncomment the desired entry.
#
# Parameter     Setting
# ---------     -------
#
# Host of zenhub daemon. Default is localhost.,
#  default: localhost
hubhost myzenosshuborhubip

I did this for the zenrender.conf
zenperfsnmp e.t.c. (all of them)

After you are done doing this on the collector you should  do a "zenoss restart" as the zenoss user. Once you do this you will be able to use your collector without any issues.

nilie
2012-10-24 15:57:03 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: In Zenoss Core 4.2 , Is collector can only installed by Zenpack DistributedCollectors?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69508#69508

Thank you for sharing this with us.

I will assume that the modifications you suggest for the daemons configurations are to be performed on each and every collector but not on the hub. Just correct me if I'm wrong here.

ieldib
2012-10-24 16:09:26 UTC
ieldib [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ieldib] created the discussion

"Re: In Zenoss Core 4.2 , Is collector can only installed by Zenpack DistributedCollectors?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69509#69509

Yes I only made the daemon configuration changes on the collector.

Kevin Mitchell
2013-02-28 19:46:52 UTC
Kevin Mitchell [http://community.zenoss.org/people/iserv] created the discussion

"Re: In Zenoss Core 4.2 , Is collector can only installed by Zenpack DistributedCollectors?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72215#72215

I've followed your steps but I'm running into a problem with the collector connecting to the zenhub on the hub machine.  Here are the errors when it tries to do a remote zendisc:

2013-02-28 14:39:52 INFO zen.ZenDisc Connecting to myhost.mydomain.net:8789
2013-02-28 14:39:52 WARNING zen.pbclientfactory Cancelling attempts to connect
2013-02-28 14:39:52 CRITICAL zen.pbclientfactory zenhub username/password combination is incorrect!

I see the zendisc process on the collector.  I used tcpdump and do see the connection attempt to port 8789 on my hub machine.  In the tcpdump conversation I see the collector sending "root" and "admin" where I think it's trying to send the username and password.  So I'm guessing I have to change that someplace, but I'm not sure where.  Any ideas?

kenhen93
2013-02-28 21:09:01 UTC
kenhen93 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/kenhen93] created the discussion

"Re: In Zenoss Core 4.2 , Is collector can only installed by Zenpack DistributedCollectors?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72232#72232

I had this same problem. Check the hubpasswd ($ZENHOME/etc/) on your master and and make sure it matches the hub password on your collector in the global.conf ($ZENHOME/etc). The hub password in the global.conf was the last line. I would restart zenoss on your collector after this.

I would like to also add I had a problem with this install because of hosts.allow and hosts.deny. No zenoss service could talk to rrdcached. Remove/rename or add a line to these files to allow rrdcaches to accessed locally

K Mitchell
2013-02-28 21:48:56 UTC
K Mitchell [http://community.zenoss.org/people/iserv] created the discussion

"Re: In Zenoss Core 4.2 , Is collector can only installed by Zenpack DistributedCollectors?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72216#72216

Boom!  That fixed it. Thanks much!