Upgrading Zenoss core 4.2.3 to 4.2.4
thomas
2013-07-17 13:40:06 UTC
thomas [http://community.zenoss.org/people/thomas] created the discussion

"Upgrading Zenoss core 4.2.3 to 4.2.4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74009#74009

Hey

I just noticed that Zenoss Core 4.2.4 has been released, unfortunately I don't see any documents explaining how to perform an upgrade?

Today I'm running Core 4.2.3 on Centos 6.4 64bit, it has been installed by the auto-deploy.sh script available on wiki.zenoss.org.

I tried to download the new autodeploy, but it seems as though it requires me to uninstall everything (mysql libraries and zenoss 4.2.3). Is this actually the case? If so, will this not delete everything I have made in zenoss?

Can anyone explain in simple terms the "correct" way of upgrading?

Regards
Thomas

2013-07-17 13:56:04 UTC

"Re: Upgrading Zenoss core 4.2.3 to 4.2.4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74010#74010

You should be able to do as root:
service zenoss stop
yum install --enablerepo=epel redis
rpm -uvh zenossrpmname
service zenoss start

You may need to go into the WebUI and re-set the zenhub passwords in the daemon config for the daemons that have it - to the default or whatever you might have changed it to.

CLASSE Computer Group

Zev Mo Green
2013-07-17 17:19:50 UTC
Zev Mo Green [http://community.zenoss.org/people/zevmo] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrading Zenoss core 4.2.3 to 4.2.4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74013#74013

This is what I got:

rpm -Uvh zenoss_core-4.2.4.el6.x86_64.rpm
Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
Stopping any down-level Zenoss daemons...
Stopped.
   1:zenoss                 warning: /opt/zenoss/bin/zenoss_upgrade_pre saved as /opt/zenoss/bin/zenoss_upgrade_pre.rpmsave
########################################### [100%]
error: unpacking of archive failed on file /opt/zenoss/lib/python/docutils/transforms/universal.py;51e6d209: cpio: read failed - Bad file descriptor

nilie
2013-07-17 18:39:05 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrading Zenoss core 4.2.3 to 4.2.4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74014#74014

James, in the installation document section 5.1Preparing to upgrade, step 5 mentions installation of ZenUP patch management tool which seems to belong to Zenoss Service Dynamics. Does this apply to Zenoss Core too ? Also step 6 requires installation of Zenoss dependencies repository. Do you know what is this for ?

2013-07-17 19:44:42 UTC

"Re: Upgrading Zenoss core 4.2.3 to 4.2.4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74017#74017

ZenUP is close to released for core as I understand it, or maybe 4.2.4 was the release of it. Zenoss just needs redis as far as I know for dependencies...

CLASSE Computer Group

thomas
2013-07-18 07:31:46 UTC
thomas [http://community.zenoss.org/people/thomas] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrading Zenoss core 4.2.3 to 4.2.4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74036#74036

Thanks for the pointer...

I found the RPM location and filename from the core-autodeploy.sh script and downloaded the RPM file manually, did rpm -Uvh rpmfile, and startet zenoss again. It auto-upgraded different things and everything looks ok.

thomas
2013-07-18 09:08:44 UTC
thomas [http://community.zenoss.org/people/thomas] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrading Zenoss core 4.2.3 to 4.2.4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74038#74038

We have some distributed collectors as well, using the same approach gives the following error:

sudo rpm -Uvh zenoss_core-4.2.4.el6.x86_64.rpm
Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
Upgrading from zenoss 4.2.3 to zenoss 4.2.4
Error: illegal lone '$' at end of source
For help, use /opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/zendmd.py -h
Unable to launch zendmd.
   Is your ZODB server running?

   If running with a local ZODB server, try:
   # service mysql status
   # service mysql start

   Check that your ZODB connection configuration is consistent between:
      /etc/my.cnf

   and ZODB-related conf files in:
      /opt/zenoss/etc

   Sometimes socket locations, port numbers and remote ZODB hostnames
   can drift apart across these files.

Unable to check if the ZODB uses a transaction history-keeping schema.

Please contact support for details on how to test this manually
and bypass this check.

Do not attempt to upgrade until this has been properly investigated.
error: %pre(zenoss-4.2.4-1859.el6.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 102
error:   install: %pre scriptlet failed (2), skipping zenoss-4.2.4-1859.el6

Our collectors have been installed via the autodeploy script and then provisioned by the Distributed Collector zenpack... apparently this breaks something that the package needs to check.

thomas
2013-07-18 09:21:58 UTC
thomas [http://community.zenoss.org/people/thomas] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrading Zenoss core 4.2.3 to 4.2.4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74039#74039

Ah, I noticed that running zendmd on the remote collector failed because of some inconsistencies in the configuration, had to edit zodb_db_*.conf because hostname and password did not match my main zenoss install, after I changed this, upgrading did work out fine.