Adding new device component
WOWaccess
2013-03-26 22:11:16 UTC
WOWaccess [http://community.zenoss.org/people/WOWaccess] created the discussion

"Adding new device component"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72596#72596

We must be making this much harder then it needs to be and we are now going around in circles.

We want to monitor APC PDU’s. We found the Zenpack made by Jane Curry but it has data in it we don’t need. For example the “APC PDU Power Supplies” is not needed and shows as being down.

What we really need is just “APC PDU Banks” and “availability” which could be done by pings or for now we were using “interfaces” which gives us throughput, packets, and errors. Our thought was we would start simple and once we figured out how to add a simple point to graph we could build from there.

We read all of the DOCs and I guess what is complicating maters is the OIDs are already in there.
1) We added a new device class called “/Power/APC_PDU” (The thought was to keep “/Power/ApcPdu” in place to use as a reference. This was created by the “APC PDU“ Zenpack.)

2) Under “Modeler Plugins” we moved “ApcPduBankMap” and saved it. Then tested it and got the following response “==== ENV_PDU-NOC ====  snmpwalk -v1 -cwowpub 10.9.8.136:161 system  SNMPv2-MIB::sysDescr.0 = STRING: APC Metered Rack PDU (MB:v3.6.8 PF:v2.6.4 PN:apc_hw02_aos_264.bin AF1:v2.6.5 AN1:apc_hw02_rpdu_265.bin MN:AP7862 HR:B2 SN: ZA0505006463 MD:01/28/2005)”

3) We then remodeled the device but we still do not have “APC PDU Banks” graph data showing up under components.

We read through the Zenpack development guide but since it was done mostly from the command line it is hard to find what we missed because we are doing it from the web interface.

Where are we going wrong?