Setting up MySQL monitoring properly
Le Dude
2012-03-24 06:06:34 UTC
Le Dude [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ledude] created the discussion

"Setting up MySQL monitoring properly"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65442#65442

Hi all.

I'm learning how to use zenoss really by stumbling around but I'm getting there.  One thing I'm semi puzzled is I'm getting this error and I'm not sure how to fix it.

MySQL Error: (2003, "Can't connect to MySQL server on 'xx.xx.xx.xx' (113)")

(I remove my ip and replaced it with xx.xx.xx.xx of course. :-))

I thought I should go to this place to setup the mysql access configuration.

infrastructures>devices>configuration properties

zMySqlUsername
zMySqlPassword

Did I set it up correctly?  If I did do I have to open up port 3306 in order for zenoss to monitor it?  Which i hesitate doing of course and I'm hoping the snmp will take care of that..

Also under mysqlusername, do I just put the username as "username" or should I do"***@localhost"?  Please advise?  Many thanks in advance for all your help.  :-)  I'll get there one day.  :-)  Hopefully soon.   :-)

dpetzel
2012-03-24 20:58:47 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Setting up MySQL monitoring properly"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65446#65446

You'll need to open up 3306, or use the MySQL SSH pack if you don't want to do that http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-5906 http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-5906

I believe username should just be username, without any "@localhost"

Le Dude
2012-03-25 18:34:26 UTC
Le Dude [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ledude] created the discussion

"Re: Setting up MySQL monitoring properly"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65451#65451

Roger that.

Thanks again dpetzel..  :-)  I'll install the mysql ssh pack.  Not a fan of opening up port since it can also be used by someone else for some other purpose that I may not like.  :-)

Shane Scott
2012-03-27 02:47:14 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Setting up MySQL monitoring properly"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65504#65504

Dude:

http://community.zenoss.org/people/bigegor/blog/2011/10/26/sqldatasource-zenpack-20-beta5#comment-5081 http://community.zenoss.org/people/bigegor/blog/2011/10/26/sqldatasource-zenpack-20-beta5#comment-5081

Best,
--Shane