traffic volume report
alliens
2012-03-25 07:53:01 UTC
alliens [http://community.zenoss.org/people/alliens] created the discussion

"traffic volume report"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65461#65461

We want to setup zenoss for traffic volume reporting i,e how much traffic (in GBs or TBs) is used on our cisco ASA firewall and we should be able to extract PDF/csv reports as well. Can any one please help on this?

2012-03-26 12:01:53 UTC

"Re: traffic volume report"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65472#65472

I'm not aware of any of the built in things in Zenoss really adressing this sort of functionality. Now, you could of course create such a function from scratch as Zenoss is OSS, and extendable in all sorts of ways from command based datasources, to modelers to zenpacks to editing the core code. If I understand what you want (and I may not), you want a gigabytes transferred and not bandwidth used. All of the built in Zenoss graphs are of bandwidth useage, i.e. megabytes per second at a particular 5 minute point.

There are three options I'm aware of:
1. Learn Zenoss inside and out and code the functionality you want on top of the existing reporting and collection infrastructure.
2. Talk to some of the community developers and see what it would cost for someone to impliment this for you.
3. Use a different tool that already does what you want.

Shane Scott
2012-03-27 02:53:37 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: traffic volume report"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65505#65505

alliens:

This is doable. You can create a custom report plugin to do the computation and return it to a performance report (RPT file) or have the information computed and displayed graphically. As for PDF I would suggest that users install a PDF print driver :)

For 32-bit ethernet templates / report templates use:
VDEF:ifInOctetsAve=ifInOctets-raw,AVERAGE
CDEF:ifInOctetsMod=ifInOctets-raw,UN,ifInOctetsAve,ifInOctets-raw,IF
CDEF:ifInOctetsModBits=ifInOctetsMod,8,*
VDEF:ifInOctetsTotal=ifInOctetsModBits,TOTAL
AREA:ifInOctets-rpn#00cc00ff:Inbound
GPRINT:ifInOctets-rpn:LAST:cur\:%5.2lf%s
GPRINT:ifInOctets-rpn:AVERAGE:avg\:%5.2lf%s
GPRINT:ifInOctets-rpn-max:MAX:max\:%5.2lf%s
GPRINT:ifInOctetsTotal:Total In\:%5.2lf%s\j
VDEF:ifOutOctetsAve=ifOutOctets-raw,AVERAGE
CDEF:ifOutOctetsMod=ifOutOctets-raw,UN,ifOutOctetsAve,ifOutOctets-raw,IF
CDEF:ifOutOctetsModBits=ifOutOctetsMod,8,*
VDEF:ifOutOctetsTotal=ifOutOctetsModBits,TOTAL
LINE1:ifOutOctets-rpn#0000ff99:Outbound
GPRINT:ifOutOctets-rpn:LAST:cur\:%5.2lf%s
GPRINT:ifOutOctets-rpn:AVERAGE:avg\:%5.2lf%s
GPRINT:ifOutOctets-rpn-max:MAX:max\:%5.2lf%s
GPRINT:ifOutOctetsTotal:Total Out\:%5.2lf%s\j

and for 64-bit templates change ifIn and ifOut to ifHCIn and ifHCOut.

Best,
--Shane