Zenoss 4.2 VMware image initial config
phreddrick
2012-08-21 23:35:43 UTC
phreddrick [http://community.zenoss.org/people/phreddrick] created the discussion

"Zenoss 4.2 VMware image initial config"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68063#68063

Hello,
     has anyone been able to use the new Zenoss 4.2 VMware image? I can't get it to go past the first user setup page. I used the VMware standalone converter to convert the machine to ESX instead of following the instructions in the guide. Should that make a difference?

m c
2012-10-09 23:39:58 UTC
m c [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mc625569] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2 VMware image initial config"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68971#68971

Same issue. Cant get past the initial account setup screen - it hangs.

Jerry Cole
2012-10-11 15:02:11 UTC
Jerry Cole [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcole] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2 VMware image initial config"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69026#69026

Is this the CentOS 5.2 OS with Zenoss Core 4.2.0 VM Appliance?

I was able to get it to work with VMWare Server 2.0.2; without much difficulty, I believe the only modification I had was some additional vmx configuration options to pin the memory (must also have parameter enabled on vmware server):

sched.mem.pshare.enable = "FALSE"
MemTrimRate = 0
prefvmx.useRecommendedLockedMemSize = "TRUE"
prefvmx.minVmMemPct = "100"

Yiming Li
2012-10-11 18:17:50 UTC
Yiming Li [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nicneo] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2 VMware image initial config"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69035#69035

I tried the Cent OS image and it worked fine for me.
I used Virtual Box on Mac

markhawke7
2013-01-30 20:26:52 UTC
markhawke7 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/markhawke7] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2 VMware image initial config"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71300#71300

I have the same issue as well.  Downloaded the 4.2.3 VM today.  Looks like it's exactly the same issue.  As the last post was from October, that's almost 4 months with no resolution.  :(

m c
2013-01-30 20:43:44 UTC
m c [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mc625569] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2 VMware image initial config"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71317#71317

Hi Markhawke7,

We don't use Zenoss anymore/at all - but I did figure out why I was having this issue.

I was changing the IP address of the server. I don't remembe the specifics of the problem, but I remember if I never changed the IP - or changed the IP back to the original, then it would work properly.

Somethign about an IP address causing some services not to start correctly or something.
Again this was months ago and I don't use the product, but for me it was because I was changning an IP.

HTH.

MC

markhawke7
2013-01-30 20:51:23 UTC
markhawke7 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/markhawke7] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2 VMware image initial config"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71301#71301

Hmm, I'll have to look at that other error posting related to rabbitmq again.  I'll give that a try.

Thanks!

-Mark

Philip Warren
2013-01-30 21:42:26 UTC
Philip Warren [http://community.zenoss.org/people/pwarren] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2 VMware image initial config"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71302#71302

From what you are describing, there may be an error in the /opt/zenoss/log/event.log file with more details on the problem. Can you post any tracebacks from that log file here so we can further analyze it? I think it may have something to do with RabbitMQ changing the location of its database files when the IP address changes.

-- Philip

markhawke7
2013-01-30 22:18:08 UTC
markhawke7 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/markhawke7] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss 4.2 VMware image initial config"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71303#71303

I did get it to work. It is related to rabbitmq and is dicussed in this post:
http://community.zenoss.org/thread/18074 http://community.zenoss.org/thread/18074
It's also discussed in the Rlease Notes for 4.2.3 for changing the hostname.  They don't give very good details though.

Here's what I did to get it working:
1. Create the /etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq-env.conf file
2. The only item I have in the file is "NODENAME=<new hostname>"
3. Reboot the VM
4. Once the instance is back up fully, execute the command from the Release Notes.  Just for completeness they are:
export VHOST="/zenoss"
export USER="zenoss"
export PASS="zenoss"
rabbitmqctl stop_app
rabbitmqctl reset
rabbitmqctl start_app
rabbitmqctl add_vhost "$VHOST"
rabbitmqctl add_user "$USER" "$PASS"
rabbitmqctl set_permissions -p "$VHOST" "$USER" '.*' '.*' '.*'
5. Stop Zenoss - service zenoss stop
6. Start Zenoss - service zenoss start

Once I did the above, the "Getting Started" wizard works without issue as did adding new locations and systems to the configuration.

-Mark