Problems with SNMPGET and snmpwalk
Nathan Harris
2011-11-23 16:45:21 UTC
Nathan Harris [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nathan.harris] created the discussion

"Problems with SNMPGET and snmpwalk"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62793#62793

Hi there, Just wondered if anyone has any idea what’s going on -

I am looking to monitor our power meters in the data centre with Zenoss using SNMP.

However when I interrogate the meter I get

*[root]# snmpget -v1 -c public ServerA 1.3.6.1.4.1.29711.7709*
*Timeout: No Response from ServerA.*

At first we thought that it was a security issue on SNMP, however the meter provider informed us that no such setting was set.

We then happened to run it from a windows workstation rather than Zenoss, guess what

*C:\usr\bin>snmpget -v 1 -c public ServerA 1.3.6.1.4.1.29711.7680*
*SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.29711.7680 = INTEGER: 105*

From my Ubuntu station again it fails and from a colleagues Windows system we get a response

*Any ideas would be appreciated*, it seems to be Linux related? We have updated snmp-net-utils with yum to no avail

:-/

themactech
2011-11-23 18:05:49 UTC
themactech [http://community.zenoss.org/people/themactech] created the discussion

"Re: Problems with SNMPGET and snmpwalk"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62770#62770

Try adding a zero at end, i.e.

*snmpget -v1 -c public ServerA 1.3.6.1.4.1.29711.7709**.0*

*snmpget is to target a leaf on the SNMP tree, snmpwalk will give you a branch.  Use snmpwalk for exploring what data is available, then snmpget to target the specific leaf you are looking for.*

*It is quite possible that the leaf you need has the .0 at the end, and the windows flavor of snmpget is more forgiving and adding the missing .0 for you.  Best practice is to be rigourous yourself on this.*

*Manuel
*

dpetzel
2011-11-23 23:43:50 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Problems with SNMPGET and snmpwalk"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62822#62822

Your two examples have two different OIDS. If you take the OID from your "Windows" example and use that OID from your Linux machine does it work? If not, Have you tried running a packet capture? This seems odd that it would be a Linux vs Windows issue... You don't have any firewalls between servers or anything right?

Nathan Harris
2011-11-24 16:37:03 UTC
Nathan Harris [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nathan.harris] created the discussion

"Re: Problems with SNMPGET and snmpwalk"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62829#62829

Hi there

The OIDs are just a typo, which ever OID I use on Windows it works but not on Linux.

We have direct access to the datacentre no firewalls in place on our link.

I have also tried adding a .0 to the end no joy so far :(

Normally its the other way round if anything, I am trying to speak with the developers at ND Meters

any ideas appreciatted...