URL Monitoring and Events
Matthew Maserati
2013-04-02 16:43:55 UTC
Matthew Maserati [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mmaserati] created the discussion

"URL Monitoring and Events"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72668#72668

My system:

    Zenoss: Zenoss 4.2.3
     OS: Linux (x86_64) 2.6.18 (Linux mcfmon.mcfdomain.net 2.6.18-164.el5 #1 SMP Thu Sep 3 03:28:30 EDT 2009 x86_64)
      Zope: Zope 2.13.13
    Python: Python 2.7.2
  Database: MySQL 5.5.13 (5.5.13)
       RRD: RRDtool 1.4.7
   Twisted: Twisted 11.0.0
  RabbitMQ: RabbitMQ 2.8.6
    Erlang: Erlang 5.6.5
   NetSnmp: NetSnmp 5.3.2
PyNetSnmp: PyNetSnmp 0.30.6
       WMI: Wmi 1.3.15
       DMD: Zenoss 4.2.3

I installed this Zen Pack so I can monitor multiple URL on one device : http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-12940 http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-12940

So now it has been running for a about a week and Zenoss is reporting tons of events. One of the most common is :
| Event Class: | /Status/HTTP (http://mcfmon.mcfcloud.com:8080/zport/dmd/Events/Status/HTTP) |
| Message: | HTTP WARNING: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found - 492 bytes in 0.003 second response time |

even though the server is there and the URL . I should be getting a 200 as the URL is responds no problem. ITs like a false positive.
Thanks in advance for explaining how this class works.

jcurry
2013-04-05 16:07:29 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: URL Monitoring and Events"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72713#72713

Sounds like you are not quite monitoring the website(s) you hope you are monitoring.  Have you tried some of the suggestions in the comments for this ZenPack  (at the URL you listed above)?

It is actually the Zenoss zencommand daemon that runs this monitor for you so the suggestion to run zencommand from the command line (as the zenoss user), should provide some helpful debugging.  Eg for a device called fred, you would have:
zencommand run -v 10 -d fred

Inspect the output closely (depending on what other monitoring you have implemented, zencommand may be running other stuff as well as this http monitor).

Cheers,
Jane