migrating from vmware player appliance 3.2.1 to an actual vm
me2
2012-02-19 16:39:36 UTC
me2 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/me2] created the discussion

"migrating from vmware player appliance 3.2.1 to an actual vm"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64589#64589

Morning,

I am migrating to an actual vm that has been built on 3.2.1 and sized much larger and is blank.

Please let me know what steps I am missing.

I don't care about past history, it can rebuild.

1.) I installed the same zenpacks I am using on the appliance on the vm.........done
2.) Can I just go into advanced and do a b/u from vm appliance and restore it into vm?
    I am looking to keep devices, classes, new reports etc. Anything I have changed inside the app only.
3.) I then want to keep users and am assuming I need to do something at the os level with the /etc/passwd file?

What am I missing and what is included in the app backup?
Thank you again for your time,

Jay

Shane Scott
2012-02-19 18:14:52 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: migrating from vmware player appliance 3.2.1 to an actual vm"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64582#64582

me2:

What's the target platform and zenoss installation package type?

More or less you need to move:
$ZENHOME/[var, perf] after preparing the new target Zenoss platform. The target must be running the same version of Zenoss, be the same architecture (or convert the RRD's to the new arch), and have the same ZenPacks (same versions) installed. Once this is done, update any of your custom .conf files in $ZENOME/etc by hand. Some of them contain package specific parts, so don't just copy over etc from the old installation. Start Zenoss, profit.

--Shane (Hacman238)