Questions about discovery and monitoring
Informatica SSRP
2012-08-01 16:01:01 UTC
Informatica SSRP [http://community.zenoss.org/people/infotec] created the discussion

"Questions about discovery and monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/67651#67651

Hello, I have installed the zenoss virtual appliance 3.2.1, and is runnig well in esxi 5.
We manage about 30 servers (win, esx, linux) and they are located in the ip range 10.12.8.0 / 24. The ips of our servers are randomly assigned in this ip range, but there are other servers that do not belong to us.
In ZENOSS we set the network 10.12.8.0/24 and autodiscovery, so it will detect a lot of servers (some of our own, some not)
We moved our servers from /discovered to the correct place (/server/windows, /server/linux, and /server/virtual machine host)

Is there any way to set a range of ips to be ignored in the autodiscovery process, or prevent /discovered devices generate events??

We want to keep zenoss clean and focus the attention in our servers

If we add a server, will the autodiscovery process detect it or we have to re run manualy?

Thanks

A V
2012-08-01 17:22:24 UTC
A V [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Fiddler] created the discussion

"Re: Questions about discovery and monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/67652#67652

Hello,
If you know what servers you need to monitor I would suggest that you add devices (servers) for that network using +*zenbatchload*+ command
You use this comand in command line console with zenoss user with a input file and it's very simple.
zenbatchload */tmp/*+*file.txt*+
You can choose where to create this +*file.txt*+.
/Server/Windowswinhostname1
winhostname2
winhostname3
/Server/Linux
uxhostname1
uxhostname2
This adds the devices directly to the class defined in the input file (+*/server/windows*+) and models the devices according to that class configuration.
In this example we are importing 3 devices to class /Server/Windows ad 2 devices to class /Server/Linux.

This way you just need to update a file before importing devices to zenoss and have absolute control of the process.
And modelling takes a lot of resources!

Informatica SSRP
2012-08-01 18:01:34 UTC
Informatica SSRP [http://community.zenoss.org/people/infotec] created the discussion

"Re: Questions about discovery and monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/67653#67653

This is the best way, but is the only way? Is there any way to do this from the web frontend (not using the console)

And Is there any way to prevent /discovered devices generate events??

A V
2012-08-01 18:30:46 UTC
A V [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Fiddler] created the discussion

"Re: Questions about discovery and monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/67654#67654

ok, two options.

First, change the "Discovered" Class properties before adding devices.
select the class Discovered and then click on "Details" button above,
select "Configuration Properties" and change the "zSnmpMonitorIgnore", "zWmiMonitorIgnore", "zPingMonitorIgnore" to "true".

Second, change devices production state after adding the devices.
select all the Discovered devices that you do not want to monitor and on the right select "Actions" -> "Set Production State..."  and change to "Decommissioned" state. This way zenoss will ignore the devices.

Informatica SSRP
2012-08-02 16:23:06 UTC
Informatica SSRP [http://community.zenoss.org/people/infotec] created the discussion

"Re: Questions about discovery and monitoring"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/67658#67658

excellent!! I We chose the "decommissioned" option.
Thanks, the answer was very usefull