Oracle Java installation problem
nilie
2012-08-13 20:05:51 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Oracle Java installation problem"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/67796#67796

Hello everybody,

I've followed the relevant instructions for the installation of Oracle Java as mentioned in the Zenoss Core Installation documentation and I ended up with Java installed in */root/jre1.6.0_33/bin/java* (the directory where I downloaded the *jre-6u33-linux-x64-rpm.bin* binary and where I started the installation) which doesn't seem right to me. The only difference is that I wanted to use the latest 1.6 version (33) instead of the one mentioned in the documentation (31). My questions are :

- can anyone tell what (if anything) I did wrong ?
- other than reinstalling, is there an easy way to fix this mess (like moving the jre directory for instance) ?
- is Java a critical pre-requisite or Zenoss will work just fine without it ?

Any idea would be appreciated.

nilie
2012-08-13 20:07:02 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: Oracle Java installation problem"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/67797#67797

Forgot to mention, this is for Zenoss Core v4.2.

Sorry about it!

jshardlow
2012-08-15 15:02:33 UTC
jshardlow [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jshardlow] created the discussion

"Re: Oracle Java installation problem"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/67862#67862

Not sure what you did wrong, as it should install itself into /usr/java. But it's pretty easy to sort out:
mkdir -p /usr/java
mv /root/jre1.6.0_33/usr/java
ln -s /usr/java/jre1.6.0_33 /usr/java/latest
ln -s /usr/java/latest /usr/java/default

So you should end up with something like:

$ ls -l /usr/java
total 4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   16 Jun 25 11:20 default -> /usr/java/latest
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root 4096 Jun 25 11:20 jre1.6.0_33
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   21 Jun 25 11:20 latest -> /usr/java/jre1.6.0_33

nilie
2012-08-16 02:36:25 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: Oracle Java installation problem"