Interfaces on Device
Fabrizio Quaranta
2013-02-11 12:35:47 UTC
Fabrizio Quaranta [http://community.zenoss.org/people/forthy] created the discussion

"Interfaces on Device"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71460#71460

How to monitor devices with more than one interfaces?

joanypony
2013-02-11 12:59:28 UTC
joanypony [http://community.zenoss.org/people/joanypony] created the discussion

"Re: Interfaces on Device"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71446#71446

Hi Fabrizio,

Do you mean simple ping checks or binding templates against the extra ethernet interfaces?

I'm not an expert, but I have found that Zenoss marks one IP as the primary and does all checks against that IP.
Any secondary IPs are collected by Zenoss, and are associated with that device, but Zenoss will not let you do any checks against them.  We have devices with multiple IPs that need different checks against each IP. I've come up with 2 semi-nasty ways around it.

A. Create a new device that has the second IP.
1. configure the original device that it will not use the secondary IP by banning that range in modeler controls in the field "zLocalIpAddresses".
2. delete the interfaces from device
3. re model and you will see the interface return. It will still list the secondary IP, but it will now let that IP belong to another device.
4. Create a DNS entry for the secondary interface - eg, device-second-ip.your.domain.com
5. Add this device to zenoss and do what you want.

This isn't a nice way to do it, and it's horrible if you have a lot of devices.  Which leads me to B.

B. Tailor your zenpacks for the second interface on your devices.
1. Ensure that the second IP on each device has it's own DNS name. eg, device-second-ip.your.domain.com
2. Write a zenpack that takes the device name, then alters the name to be the secondary device, then perform your checks against the name of the secondary interface name.

eg, I have a device test001.joan.com. The secondary IP has the name of test001-second-ip.joan.com. I bind a zenpack to test001.joan.com. The command I use converts the dev-id from test001.joan.com to test001-second-ip.joan.com and then runs the test against that. So it just adds "-second-ip" to the middle of the device name.

I know it sounds weird, but it means you don't have to create multiple devices. It suits if your zenpacks are command based.

Hope that helps a little,

Joan