Zenoss-Supported Temperature Sensor
jskeane
2011-12-15 19:54:15 UTC
jskeane [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jskeane] created the discussion

"Zenoss-Supported Temperature Sensor"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63317#63317

I would like to put an Ethernet-connected temperature sensor in an equipment rack, and use Zenoss to monitor it. Are there any such devices that already have a ZenPack written for them? Thanks for any pointers.

Best Regards,

jskeane

Alan Milligan
2011-12-16 02:17:15 UTC
Alan Milligan [http://community.zenoss.org/people/milligana] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss-Supported Temperature Sensor"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63300#63300

Well that depends...

If you can't find a ZenPack via the vendor, then your best option is that you forked out for something that runs SNMP.  It should be straightforward to find the MIB in the vendor's documentation and use this within vanilla Zenoss.

2011-12-16 12:59:24 UTC

"Re: Zenoss-Supported Temperature Sensor"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63323#63323

Outside of the existing Zenpack page, I'm not currently aware of any temp monitor Zenpacks. That said, Alan is correct, just make sure it has decent SNMP support and you could create templates and export to a zenpack rather simply.

You could also look into having a developer create a zenpack I suppose.

On a related note, we recently purchased a minigoose (I think that's the name) which does do temp monitoring, and SNMP. I don't know that we'll want to monitor that via Zenoss, but I might look at it sometime...

bojan
2011-12-16 13:43:41 UTC
bojan [http://community.zenoss.org/people/bojan] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss-Supported Temperature Sensor"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63303#63303

Check this out:
http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-8341 http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-8341

We are using several weathergoose units (I think minigoose is SNMP compatible) with great success.

Regards
Bojan

2011-12-16 14:08:06 UTC

"Re: Zenoss-Supported Temperature Sensor"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63326#63326

Is it working for you on Zenoss v3 though? It says 2.5.2 only. . . and needs v3 testing.

bojan
2011-12-16 17:00:58 UTC
bojan [http://community.zenoss.org/people/bojan] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss-Supported Temperature Sensor"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63306#63306

Actually, I have a "No ZenPacks" policy. I couldn't upgrade to v3 for which I blame installed ZenPacks. I had to do a fresh install (300 TV broadcasting devices with a lot of event transforms, MIBs and monitoring templates).
I made my own monitoring template for Weathergoose and it is similar to the published ZenPack. I just added OIDs for external temperature sensors.

Regards
Bojan

jskeane
2011-12-16 16:30:32 UTC
jskeane [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jskeane] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss-Supported Temperature Sensor"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63335#63335

Bojan,

Thank you for your suggestion to look at the ITWatchDogs products.

Best Regards,

jskeane