Dell OMSA Event Transforms
crawleyinc
2012-01-02 16:00:38 UTC
crawleyinc [http://community.zenoss.org/people/crawleyinc] created the discussion

"Dell OMSA Event Transforms"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63472#63472

First off, I'd just like to say that Zenoss is a great product (especially considering that it's free!).  There is a bit of a learning curve, but once you get over that it's well worth the effort.

That said, I'm having a problem with a particular zenpack ( http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-4537 http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-4537) that is supposed to transform Dell OpenManage SNMP traps into human-readable zenoss events.  I successfully installed the zenpack, and was able to successfully receive the traps (I got the cold-start one, as well as two traps when I yanked one of the power cords out of the server and plugged it back in.)  The problem is that it appears that the transforms themselves aren't being applied.  The Event classes are still listed as /unknown (I'm assuming this is the problem).  It may be something very simple, such as "activating" the transform, I'm just not sure of how I make sure that Zenoss recognizes these events and applies the proper transforms as necessary.

I'm using Zenoss 3.2.1.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

jcurry
2012-01-03 11:00:17 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Dell OMSA Event Transforms"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63486#63486

A few things here.
The best way to determine whether an event mapping has been applied is to check the detail of the event itself. Double-click the event and then click the link to show more details in the event and look for the eventClassMapping field.

Since you say they are all in the /Unknown class, the chances are that the mapping isn't being applied.

Did the ZenPack install complete successfully?  It looks like you need to manually create the /Mibs/Dell organizer before installing the ZenPack.  If you didn't do this, then I guess all the MIB imports (which is what will translate your TRAPs) would fail.  Navigate to ADVANCED -> Mibs and check that you have a Dell organizer and that you have a bunch of Mibs under that.  If not, deinstall the ZenPack, create the Mibs/Dell organizer and reinstall the ZenPack.  (You can deinstall a ZenPack, as the zenoss user, with zenpack --remove <ZenPack name> ).

Also, check that the ZenPack event classes and mappings have actually been created.  Navigate to EVENTS -> Event Classes and see that you have classes under /Events/HW/Dell .  If you have these, you should be able to explore the transforms for each event class mapping.  You don't need to "activate" anything - if the transforms exist under the mapping then it should be automatically applied for any event that matches the criteria for the mapping.

If you want to dig much deeper into events and event processing, then you might pull my paper from http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-3538 http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-3538 .

Cheers,
Jane

crawleyinc
2012-01-03 23:32:23 UTC
crawleyinc [http://community.zenoss.org/people/crawleyinc] created the discussion

"Re: Dell OMSA Event Transforms"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63514#63514

I did create the MIBs before the installation of the zenpack, but for some reason the mappings didn't take.  I did the mappings by hand and restarted all of the zenoss services and presto.. everything works.

Thanks Jane!